Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

4AD

From: vishal@m2.csc.ti.com (Vishal Markandey)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1991 07:35:57 -0700
Subject: 4AD
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) writes:

> 1. Is this group JUST for Kate?  It appears to be totally obsessed with her.

This is primarily Kate space, although other artists are certainly discussed.
Sometimes discussions of these other artists can reach deafening proportions,
in which case proper protocol calls for the rest of us to scream loud and
long at the offending parties until they set up a mailing list and call it
"Ecto".

:-)

> 3. I'm more into the Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance etc.  Is this the place
>    for me or should I get lost?
> 4. Is Kate on the 4AD label?  Just what IS the 4AD label anyway, and who
>    is on it beside the above two groups?

Those are my favorite 4AD groups too!!  You may also like "This Mortal Coil".
TMC is not really a band, it is compilations of contributions by various
4AD artists.  Three albums: "It will end in tears", "Filigree and Shadow",
and "Blood".  Great stuff!  Also check out "Lonely is an eyesore", a sampler
of various 4AD groups.

Jeff responds:

> No, KaTe is on EMI (and, now, Columbia in the US).  4AD is an English label
> with lots of alternative acts.  There are lots of great (and not great)
> bands on the label, including but not limited to:  Xymox, Lush, Pixies,
> Throwing Muses, This Mortal Coil, His Name Is Alive (which always makes me
> think of a Happy Rhodes song...), The Breeders, and some others that I should
> probably be able to think of, but can't.  Unfortunately, 4AD isn't particularly

Also:

Colourbox, Xmal Deutchland, Wolfgang Press, Ultra Vivid Scene, The Pale Saints,
Heidi Berry.

- V