Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: three song groups

From: boris%planecrash.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Boris Chen)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1991 21:02:16 -0700
Subject: Re: three song groups
To: <love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet%agate.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (USENET Administrator)

In article <9110150053.AA05016@lewhoosh.umd.edu> jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.EDU (Jeffrey C. Burka) writes:
>Boris writes:
>>is ballad like, WH is medium, JatCG is rockish. They all have a common
>>theme of different men. A gentle man, a gothic man, a man with a
>>death wish. (see the progression?)
>
>Sure, I see a progression, but not a gentle flow that carries you around.

But you see, the three represent a catagoricalization of perhaps some
men that KT knew. Not that these are all encompassing, but nevertheless
the songs make a profound statment as to the nature of the male psyke.
In a way, men can be all three: the childish man, Heathcliff, and
James. It is the way that men affect women that KT is trying to express.
Some are sensitive, yet she has an underliying fear of his lack of
true love for her, or that such a comforting relationship may end. In
the case of Heathcliff and James we see two destructive characters,
destructive in their own way. Heathcliff is madly in love with Kathy, yet
because of their separation by death he is a frustrated vile person, whereas
James is the man who cannot get close to a person. He fears love as
much as Heathcliff longs for it, and as much as the C. Man has it.

>I guess what it comes down to is that I'm more interested in the way the
>music carries through the three songs as opposed to a progression in the
>way the lyrics deal with disparate yet vaguely related themes.

Vaguely related themes? Au contrair.

>>is that they're very different and yet they all blend together perfectly
>>well. WH is like a perfect little segue for the other two songs, while
>>standing beautifully on its own. It captures the beautiful bitter-sweet
>>magic of _Moving_ and SP, in its(they're) fluid melodies.
>
>Hunh?  What do Moving, Strange Phenomena, and Saxophone Song have to do
>with the three you were originally describing?

I don't know, I was copying what you said, and just inserting songs
from TKI instead of NfE.

>(on a side note, I love the segue from "Moving" into "SS."  For a long
>time I had trouble remembering where one song ended and another began.
>Very similar to Laurie Anderson's "Let X=X" and "It Tango."  It was ages
>before I sat down with the lyrics and figured out when one song became
>the next)

Same with me. I got a tape from a friend, and didn't get the CD until
last year, and I all the while I thought it was one song.

>The narrator of "Wuthering Heights" is the ghost of Cathy Earnshaw Linton,
>come back to haunt Heathcliff; she has come back from the "other side" and
>wishes to grab his soul away.  Obviously Satanic.

heh, well, I guess it isnt as bad as Hounds of love, which my roommates
insist is about bestiality.
Hmm, so this is how books get banned.

>(go read the book; you won't regret it and it'll just make you love the
>song even more...)

Read it in high school. Loved it. Teacher should have played the song in
class, and had us write a report on it.

--boris