Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Bolts

From: boris%typhoon.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Boris Chen)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1991 15:21:33 -0700
Subject: Re: Bolts
To: <love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet%agate.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (USENET Administrator)

In article <9110140415.AA02924@lewhoosh.umd.edu> jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.EDU (Jeffrey C. Burka) writes:
>I wrote:
>>>You seem to be confused.  The three best in-sucession songs ever recorded
>>>are "Infant Kiss," "Night Scented Stock" and "Army Dreamers."  However,
>>>"Army Dreamers" remains the best of those three.
>
>Boris answered:
>>What? A song about virtual child molestation? Ha! You philistine!
>>I'd go with TMwtCiHE, WH, and JatCG as the best in a series.
>
>Hunh?  Where's the flow between the songs?  I'll admit that "The Man With
>the Child In His Eyes", followed by WH is a wonderful combination,  But
>I hardly that that JatCG fits in terribly well with the other two songs.
>It doesn't continue the same sort of flow that "my" three songs
>do.

Hmm, flow, eh? This is a toughy.
Well, the songs get progressively harsher (maybe that's
not the right word. Faster? I think you know what I mean). TMwtCiHE
is ballad like, WH is medium, JatCG is rockish. They all have a common
theme of different men. A gentle man, a gothic man, a man with a
death wish. (see the progression?) What I like about these three songs
is that they're very different and yet they all blend together perfectly
well. WH is like a perfect little segue for the other two songs, while
standing beautifully on its own. It captures the beautiful bitter-sweet
magic of _Moving_ and SP, in its(they're) fluid melodies.

(deja vu?)

>As for child molestation, I'll point out that the songs you named include
>drug use, prostitution, the occult, and god knows what else (I'm too lazy
>to look at Chris' PMRC sheet to find out the *real* scoop on everything
>that's wrong with your three songs...;-)

What drug use, prostitution, the occult? Well, I guess the person in
the "Big Brass Bed" may be a prostitute -- dunno. Anyway, your lack
of support only buttresses my proof that my three picks are the
absolute best. I so deem it!

Actually, I am not quite sure WHAT 3 in a row are the best. So
much to choose from! But I think the 3 above comes close.

--boris