Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Nit-picking?

From: lazlo%triton.unm.edu@lynx.unm.edu (Lazlo Nibble)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1991 13:04:12 -0700
Subject: Re: Nit-picking?
To: <love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Dances With Voles <fscott!jondr@uunet.uu.net> writes:

>>> I would of course ignore it. Please tell me what effects knowing the
>>> difference should have for my listening experience. Although I know
>>> Yello uses a synthesizer to play the guitar, I couldn't care less.
>>> Sound is sound.
>
> Yello uses a guitar to play the guitar, actually.  At least, on every
> Yello album I own there is generally someone (or several someones)
> credited for guitars.  Let's just check in the old satchel to see if I
> brought any Yello discs to work this week...  Yup!  "Flag" credits Chico
> Hablas - Guitar on 7, 9.

Chico Hablas is a complete screaming guitar monster when he's working
with Yello, which is weird because his solo stuff is almost unbearably
new-agey (well, unbearable if you spin up the CD expecting 45 minutes
of "Si Senor The Hairy Grill" -- it's actually quite good otherwise :-).

Now Carlos Peron, on the other hand . . . he's quite the Boris-wannabe
on GOLD FOR IRON but he's pretty good at it.

> ON the other hand, all the horns are sampled.  I read an interview with
> Boris Blank where he said that he used hands slapping on leather pants
> for a drum once...  And Dieter Meier said that "Tied Up" has 150 tracks
> and Boris didn't use a track sheet to mix it.  Now *THAT'S* godlike
> talent.  Dieter said Boris played the mixing desk like a conductor
> conducting a symphony orchestra.

Listening to BABY on a $40,000 stereo system is about as close to touching
the face of God as you can get without dying.  The Yello sound survives
closer scrutiny than any sound I've ever heard, ever . . . yes, Boris is
a master of the mixing desk.  How the fuck does he *do* that?

--
Lazlo (lazlo@triton.unm.edu)

FLASH!  Intelligence of human race decreasing.  Details at...uh,
when the little hand is on the....