Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Nit-picking?

From: vickie@chinet.chi.il.us (Vickie Ann Mapes)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1991 02:29:00 -0700
Subject: Nit-picking?
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

Chris here,

Kjetil Torgrim Homme on the question of the rifle-sound in "Army Dreamers":
> The original question *had* been answered, it was short, concise,
> excellent. I was just having a poke at Vickie for needless (IMNSHO)
> nit-picking.

 No, not when it deals with Kate's (former?) primary insturment (the
Fairlight).

>> In case you hadn't noticed, that's the kind of thing that lots of people
>> care about on this newsgroup.  Would the difference matter if it was a
>> sample or if it was a synthesized sound that happened to sound like a
>> rifle bolt?  Or would you completely ignore it?

> I would of course ignore it. Please tell me what effects knowing the
> difference should have for my listening experience. Although I know
> Yello uses a synthesizer to play the guitar, I couldn't care less.
> Sound is sound.

  Ok, here is an example of needless nit-picking for referance purposes:

 The Fairlight Series II didn't really "sample" the sound in the modern
sense. It captured a sample in digital memory, performed a Fourier Transform,
breaking the sound to it's component waveforms, storing the frequency and
amplitude of those waveforms in order to _re-synthesize_ the sound. Thus,
nothing that went into a Fairlight II came out _exactly_ the same way.

  You're welcome.

                                    Chris Williams of
                                        Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                            katefans@chinet.chi.il.us