Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

OH, by the by

From: <sjudge@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1991 23:35:10 -0700
Subject: OH, by the by
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

I was just wondering about the (is it SIG?) at the end of your message
"fingerle",  I have NEVER understood why the use of different culture's
music is considered the equivalent of raping and pillaging.  How does using
another countries' musical style CHANGE or DEFACE the country it originated
from?  Is it wrong for someone to use a type of music simply because that
person comes from an entirely different country?  I say, it's ONE world full
great and differing styles of music.  And we all have the right as human
beings to make the music we feel states our personal feelings.  Peter Gabriel,
Paul Simon and David Byrne all have a deep founded admiration and love for
African and Latin American rhythms....so why can't they just do it and be left
alone by people who seem to me to be just looking for something else to divide
and ration?