Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: the handsome cabin boy

From: turney@cs.cornell.edu (Jenn Turney)
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1991 10:52:36 -0700
Subject: Re: the handsome cabin boy
To: <love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com>
Expires: Tue, 15 Oct 1991 04:00:00 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: turney@cs.cornell.edu

Woj writes:
  stev0 asks about the last line of "the handsome cabin boy". mine ears
  hear the phrase "`tis either you or me,' she said to the handsome cabin
  boy."

Not quite, Woj.  Try this:
  For 'tis either you or me's betrayed the handsome cabin boy.

This makes a little more sense if you stick the missing second verse
into the song:
  The captain's wife she being on board, she seem-ed in great joy
  To see her husband had engaged such a handsome cabin boy
  And now and then she'd slip in a kiss, and she would have liked to toy
  But it was the captain found out the secret of the handsome cabin boy

Jenn
| turney@cs.cornell.edu | Dept of Computer Science | Cornell University |
| The turgid prose of the wedding ceremony gave way at the gala		|
| reception to biting remarks, caustic hors d'oeuvres, and drunken	|
| apologies, which the newlyweds fled in a rented BMW for a little spa	|
| frequented by clerics and crooks.					|