Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Yma Sumac and Lene Lovich

From: relph@presto.ig.com (John M. Relph)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1991 11:10:15 -0700
Subject: Re: Yma Sumac and Lene Lovich
To: rec-music-gaffa@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In the referenced article, katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie) writes:
>Vickie here, Vishal writes:
>I always like to play Yma Sumac and Lene Lovich together, calling Lene
>"Yma's spiritual granddaughter" and I always thought that Lene was very
>influenced by Yma. But not very long ago I saw an interview with a woman
>who had worked for Lene's old record company. She was assigned to accompany
>Lene during the day, before her concert that night in Chicago. During their
>conversations the woman happened to mention Yma. Lene said "who?" ! She had
>never heard of her!

I thought that the intro section to "Bird Song" was a tape of Yma
Sumac.  I don't know where I heard that, but girl you know it's true.
I'll have to go back to my Amy Camus record and see if I can find it.
That Earthquake song always reminded me of the bit on "Bird Song".

	-- John

P.S.  I have a Lene Lovich discography available if anyone is interested.