Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Happy Rhodes' _Warpaint_ at Rough Trade in SF

From: ml@vcp1.vcp.monash.edu.au
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1991 19:08:41 -0700
Subject: Re: Happy Rhodes' _Warpaint_ at Rough Trade in SF
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@monu0.cc.monash.edu.au (Usenet system)

In article <1991Sep20.081311.7660@news.iastate.edu>, tabn3@isuvax.iastate.EDU writes:
> In article <1991Sep20.042126.17631@sactoh0.sac.ca.us>, trm@sactoh0.sac.ca.us (Tara R. Marchand) writes:
>>      "The moon is full,
>>     The stars are bright,         Tara R. Marchand
>>          And the sky              trm@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US
>>Is a poisonous garden tonight."    UUCP=..ames!pacbell!sactoh0
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>     A truly awesome song by Concrete Blonde!  I don't know what anyone else on
> here thinks about her and the band, but Johnette Napolitano has one of the
> coolest female singing voices in rock today!  She can achieve a kick-ass kind
> of growl at one moment in a fast song and yet turn around and sing a ballad with
> some of the most beautiful, sorrow-filled, tear-jerking vocals you'll ever
> hear.  For reference, on _Bloodletting_ for example, listen to the above song
> or _The Vampire Song_, and then listen to _Lullaby_ or _Tomorrow Wendy_.  She's
> truly amazing!
>
> --Dan M.

My sentiments exactly!!!  They are also a fantastic band live.  I saw them at
'The Metro', a Melbourne nightclub, where the place was bursting at the seams
with very passionate fans.  When the band rocked, the whole place was blur of
motion.  When they slowed down to a ballad, the crowd relaxed and immersed
themselves with the songs.  It was quite poinient to see a crowd, a very young
crowd, completely surrender themselves to the band and the music.  They are a
very tight unit and excellent musicians.

Concrete Blond definately perform some of the most powerful and aggressive
songs around.  They put a lot of these so called 'Heavy Metal' bands in the
their place!!

Oh, by the way, Andrew Prieboy (sp?), was a support act.  He did a duet
with Johnette singing 'Tomorrow, Wendy'.  Their vocals went perfectly together
with this song.  That was to me the absolute highlight ot the night.  He also
sang the Led Zeppelin song 'A whole lot of love' to what I thought was a
Honky-tonk beat (think about it!) - just him and his keyboard.  It was
hilarous!!

It was a great and memorable night.

Cheers,
Mik.

/***************************************************************************\
* Mik Lipcsey, Computer Systems Officer,      * I am home, I know the way,  *
* Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash Uni., * I am home, feeling oh, so   *
* 381 Royal Parade, Parkville, Australia.     *    far away...              *
* Aarnet:  ml@vcp1.vcp.monash.edu.au          *       Enya & Roma Ryan:     *
* 'Open the Pod Bay Door, please, HAL'        *   'Evening Falls...' (1988) *

Shine on friend,
Goodnight,
Why, then,
the darkening of the light....