Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Waking the Witch and audience expansion

From: Duane.Day@EBay.Sun.COM (Duane Day)
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1991 11:08:29 -0700
Subject: Waking the Witch and audience expansion
To: Love-Hounds@EDDIE.MIT.EDU

>From:	aurs01!aurxc3!whitcomb@mcnc.org (Jonathan Whitcomb)

>I find the Ninth Wave embarassing.  A group of song fragments, loosely
>linked by an uninteresting concept and no coherent musical theme, and the
>listener is supposed to accept it as High Art?  This kind of pretention
>went out of style in the 70's.  I find that this is a result of Bush
>trying too hard to develop a concept, and forgetting to develop *songs*.
>Waking the Witch?  Noise.  Studio effects.  Horrendous lyrics.
>Sure, her fans will eat this stuff up, but it won't help to expand
>her audience.

Au contraire.  My previous exposure to Kate had been her "Saturday
Night Live" appearance.  A friend who'd been singing her praises to
me for years appeared at my door one day with _Hounds of Love_.
(A pity he'd never brought over _The Dreaming_ instead of just
telling me how great it was...but I digress.)  During side one,
I was thinking that this was very good stuff, but it still hadn't
completely grabbed me.  Seconds after "Waking the Witch" began,
however, I'd resolved to buy the album.  I did so at my earliest
opportunity, and quickly became enamored enough of the rest of the
album to run out and buy _The Dreaming_ and soon after, all of the
other albums.

"Waking the Witch" has indeed helped to expand Kate's audience.
Since I've become a fan, I've introduced her music to quite a few
of my friends, a number of whom have also become fans.  So, at least
one of Jonathan's statements was flat out incorrect.

But then, what do I know...I love the title track of _The Sensual
World_, too...

Cheers,
Duane Day

p.s.  "Noise"?????