Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: How I Learned To Love TSW...(though I loved it immediately)

From: gatech!chinet.chi.il.us!katefans@eddie (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1991 21:19:00 -0700
Subject: Re: How I Learned To Love TSW...(though I loved it immediately)
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.EDU

Vickie here.

> Subject: Learning to love TSW, or...

> ..or, The Womanly Hours of Catherine Bush

This post was just added to my "Best Posts" file.

Well done Jorn!!!

> Abstract:  At the age of 16, Cathy Bush shed a skin and became Kate Bush,
> ascending pop superstar.  This short essay argues that beginning with The
> Sensual World, she is undergoing another metamorphosis, into a _grown-up
> woman_, whom we might rename Catherine Bush.

You put into very articulate words the vague thoughts that have been
swirling around in my head ever since TSW was released.

> And I begin to see all her comments about TSW as a _feminine_ album as
> really meaning that Kate is shedding her girlishness and becoming a woman,
> and that she's now having to find a musical voice for this new soul within
> her.

Mmmmmmm yes!

> Is "Kate" dead?  No way, listen to Rocket's Tail!  But chances are the
> "Kate" persona is going to be playing a lesser role as the new life
> challenges are confronted and mastered.  So long live Catherine Bush!

I don't know what to say other than "I wish I'd written this post" :-)
Brilliant!

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@chinet.chi.il.us