Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Convention messages

From: gatech!chinet.chi.il.us!katefans@eddie (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1991 00:23:00 -0700
Subject: Convention messages
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Chris here,

   The Ohio message followed by excerpts of the '84 Bush-Con message:

>   I'm very pleased this is taking place here today. If some of you
>   came from a long distance I hope you have found it worthwhile, and
>   I want to say thank you to you all for being here. I'm in the studio
>   starting to record my seventh album. It is due to be released later
>   this year, but I cannot talk about it until it is properly recorded.
>   I think this is wonderful and I'm very pleased you let me know
>   about it. Love Kate Bush.

}     Firstly, I think I should say that I am very honoured indeed that
}   this event is taking place here to-night. I believe that some of you
}   have come a long way, too, and that means a lot to me. I hope that
}   none of you feel that you journeys been wasted.
}                                                       (deleted)
}    I am talking to you from my studio and we've just started recording
}   the next album. It's due to be released in the autumn and I'll be
}   working throughout the summer to get it finished. It's almost
}   impossible to talk about music before it's been recorded properly.
                                                        (deleted)

    Make up your own mind if a recently fired CBS staffer fudged a
message, if the folks at AATHP/LL fudged a message, or if Kate's creativity
has deserted her to the extent of saying almost the same thing in two
different messages 6 or 7 years apart.

   Our friend Patrick pointed out that the Bush-Con message uses
subjunctive tense in the last sentence, which is Kate's usual speaking
style. The corresponding sentence in the Ohio message is purely declarative.

  The known handwritten letters by Kate are written as though she were
speaking. Simply put, we can hear Kate in our mind's ear saying the latter
but not the former.

                                Chris Williams of
                                    Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                        katefans@chinet.chi.il.us

P.S. I haven't recieved _one_ letter in re opinions expressed to Richard
   Caldwell re me. I'll have to assume that he is muttering to the mice
   in his pockets again. Oh, to have an invisible army of supporters...