Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Homosexuality and Kate

From: rhill@pnet01.cts.com (Ronald Hill)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1991 20:48:04 -0700
Subject: Homosexuality and Kate
To: crash!ims.alaska.edu!Love-Hounds@nosc.mil

Here's the quotes from Cloudbusting that deal with Kashka From Bagda and a NEW
quote for WOW that will be in the next version.  It deals with homosexuality:

Wow!

Reprinted in Cariad Kate #3.

        I am playing the part of a movie star and I suppose this lady is quite
sexy.  But I don't think it is shocking.
        The record is a bit of a send-up of a lot of things in showbiz.
        There are an awful lot of homosexuals in the business.  But that is
just an observation, not a criticism.

KASHKA FROM BAGHDAD
-------------------
        That actually came from a very strange American detective series that
I caught a couple of years ago.  There was a musical theme that they kept
putting in.  It was a very moody series and it inspired the idea of this old
house somewhere in Canada or America with two people in it that no one knew
anything about.  And being a small town everyone wanted to know what everyone
else was up to, and these particular people in the town had a very private
thing happening.  (1979, Phone In From AVD)

        [MOTIONS TO INSTRUMENT] WHAT DO YOU CALL IT?
        PADDY: It's called a stumento da proco, that's it's real name, or at
least the name that Portoreas [???] gave it - he was a writer on musical
instruments in seventeen century.
        WHAT DO YOU USE IT FOR?
        PADDY: Well we use it for a number with an Islamic flavour to it
called Kashka From Baghdad.  And it sounds like a santer [???] which is
traditional Arabian instrument played with hammers, just slightly.  (1979,
Kate Bush On Tour)

Kashka from Baghdad
 Kashka from Baghdad
 Lives in sin, they say,
 With another man,
 But no one knows who.

 Old friends never call there.
 Some wonder if life's
 Inside at all--
 If there's life inside at all.

      But we know the lady who rents the room.
      She catches them calling a la lune.
           At night
           They're seen
           Laughing,
           Loving.
           They know
           The way
           To be
           Happy.

 They never go for walks.
 Maybe it's because
 The moon's not bright enough.
 There's light in love, you see.

 I watch their shadows,
 Tall and slim,
 In the window opposite.
 I long to be with them.

      'Cause when all the alley-cats come out,
      You can hear music from Kashka's house.

           At night
           They're seen
           Laughing,
           Loving.
           They know
           The way
           To be
           Happy.

      "Watching every night.*
       Don't you know they're seen?
       Won't you let me laugh?
       Let me in your love.

      "Watching every night.
       Don't you know they're seen?
       Won't you let me laugh?
       Let me in your love.

      "Watching every night.
       Don't you know they're seen?
       Won't you let me laugh?
       Let me in your love.

      "Watching every night.
       Don't you know they're seen?
       Won't you let me laugh?"

.in 0
[*--"Watching every night": Other sources have the nonsense
syllables "Utcha every night," instead.]

[This song is also known in an early demo version, perhaps dating from between
1973 and 1976, which features a few alternate lines:]

 Kashka from Baghdad
 Lives in sin, they say,
 With another man,
 But no one knows who.

 Dark lights at night.
 No one thinks there's life inside at all,
 That there's life inside at all.

      Except for the ladies who clean the house,
      Except for the men who put the garbage out.

          At night
          They're seen
          Laughing,
          Dancing.
          They know
          The way
          To be
          Happy.

 Never go for walks.
 Maybe it's because
 The moon's not bright enough.
 Light in love, you see.

 I watch their shadows,
 Tall and slim,
 In the window opposite.
 I long to be with them.

     What would I do if I were seen?
     What would I do if they knew my feelings?

          At night
          They're seen
          Laughing,
          Loving.
          They know
          The way
          To be
          Happy.

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!rhill
ARPA: crash!pnet01!rhill@nosc.mil
INET: rhill@pnet01.cts.com