Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

new ANIMAL LOGIC cd is out!!!

From: SPW103@psuvm.psu.edu
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1991 10:26:28 -0800
Subject: new ANIMAL LOGIC cd is out!!!
To: REC-MUSIC-GAFFA@gatech.edu
Newsgroups: alt.rock-n-roll, rec.music.cd, rec.music.gaffa

This may be old news around here, but a couple of days ago, I picked up the
new Animal Logic album, entitled "II"  If you don't know who Animal Logic is,
it's a band comprised of Deborah Holland on vocals, Stanely Clarke (the
legendary) on Bass, and Stewart Copeland (from The Police) on drums.  I hate
to put a description on their style, but I'd guess I'd have to call it
progressive pop with a twist.  If you had the first album, and you liked it,
you'll love this one. If you weren't really impressed with the first one...
this one is much, much better and I urge you to give it a listen!

Here are a few things that I can say about it:

-Deborah Holland's lyrics are much stronger, thanks (i think) to several good
  co-writers, including Chris Difford and Frankie Blue.

-The first album was first recorded by Stewart Copeland on his Fairlight
 synthesizer, and then given to Holland and Clarke to dub in their parts.
 In an interview, Copeland admitted that this was a mistake, because the
 Bass lines he programmed on the Fairlight were more like Sting Bass lines
 than S. Clarke bass lines.  "II" was recorded with everyone in the same
 studio.  It has a much more relaxed sound, and is much more spontaneous
 than the first one.  The recording quality is also much higher.

-In my opinion, this album contains some of Stewart Copeland's best drum
 work -- really nice.

Well, that's my two-cents worth... I'm interested  in hearing feedback
from other people.  And I'm really interested in finding out about Animal
Logic tour dates, because I think it would be an incredible live show!

                           Stephen Walker  SPW103@psuvm.psu.edu