Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Christgau's reviews

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1991 18:13:00 -0800
Subject: Christgau's reviews
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

	Thanks to Ed Suranyi for transcribing the notes in Christgau's
 Consumer Guide  on Kate's last four albums.  He had the same problem I did
with a sentence from the review of  The Whole Story :

>       ...  Even the best of the old U.K. hits she strews among the
>tokens of her American breakthrough, 1980's "Army Dreamers,"  lives and
>dies with its lyric.  ...

Ed asks,
>[In what sense could "Army Dreamers" possibly be considered her
>American breakthrough?  Has anybody in America ever heard that
>song played on the radio?  I haven't.  -- Ed]

	As an expert maker of bad sentences, I think I've figured this one out.
Christgau weaves together two unrelated points:  (i) the assertion that "Army
Dreamers" is "the best of the old U.K. hits," and (ii) a characterization of
 The Whole Story  as featuring "tokens of her American breakthrough"--
presumably "Running up that Hill" and the other tracks from "Hounds of Love"
(RUTH was a top 40 single, HoL a top 40 album).  The clue in the grammar is
the plural "tokens."

	Another point Ed raises is worth comment, too:
>I THINK he likes her, but I'm not sure.  In each case the grade he
>gives is less than I would have expected from the review.

	My sense is that at the bottom line, he doesn't like her any better
than the two B's, B+, and A- he assigns suggest--but he WISHES HE COULD.  An
example (commenting on HoL):

>                ...  But as she learns to manipulate her electronic
>orchestra, which took a while (cf. 1980's "Breathing"), the songs turn
>into compositions, so that if the unfettered emotionalism of "Hounds
>of Love," say, isn't your cup of tea, you're still rooting for her as she
>takes off her shoes and throws them in the lake.

In short, Kate "isn't his cup of tea," but he's "still rooting for her."  I
agree:  it IS a bit of a strange position.

                                                            Peter Manchester
"C'mon, we all sing!"                               pmanches@sbccmail.bitnet
                                               pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu