Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Personal Call Part II

From: rhill@pnet01.cts.com (Ronald Hill)
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1991 01:00:26 -0800
Subject: Personal Call Part II
To: crash!ims.alaska.edu!Love-Hounds@nosc.mil

[Second part of Personal Call transcription.  Part of this tape is nearly
inaudible, so if anyone has a better copy or transcription, let me know]

        Sue: We've got another caller on the line, maybe the same kinda
subject.  Barbara Clay of Hallyfax.  Hello, Barbara.
        Barbara: Hello.
        Sue: Is this the same kinda subject you're phoning about?
        Barbara: Well, in a way, yes it is.  I want to talk to Kate.  If you
could tell me what "OM MANI PADME HUM" means.
        K: Well, it's a buddist chant actually, and I couldn't actually tell
you what it means because unfortunately I don't practice buddhism.  But it's a
passion mantra, and it's really just a mediative - blah - chant that people
use when they're in a state of higher being.
        Barbara: They're something else I wanted to ask while I was on the
phone.  I wanted to wish you all the best in the British pop and rock world...
        Kate: Oh!
        Barbara: Because I think you're creative [??? inaudible]
        Kate: Oh!
        Barbara: I wondered if you be doing Totmatin at all?
        Kate: Ah, well I... again ... would be going around England quite a
lot and I think Ed going to be give out some dates in a minute.
        Barbara: No, I don't mean that.  I mean did you ever live in Totmatin?
        Kate: Oh, no.  No I'm sorry.
        Barbara: And they're something else I'd like to say.  I'm really sorry
Don't Push You Foot On The Heartbrake didn't make it.  Cause I thought it was
fantastic.
        Kate: Oh, great.
        Barbara: Were you upset about that at all?
        Kate: What, you mean as a single?
        Barbara: Yes.
        Kate: Well that wasn't actually the single.  It was Hammer Horror that
was the single.
        Barbara: Oh, I see.
        Kate: Yeah.
        Barbara: Well, that didn't really get off the ground, did it?
        Kate: No, it didn't no.
        Barbara: I'm sorry, because I think all your music real fantastic, you
know.
        Kate: Oh, thank you very much.
        Barbara: Thank you very much, bye.
        Kate: Thanks, bye
        Ed: Thank you, caller.  Actually Kate, that brings me on to a question
for you.  How much say do you have in what is released by your record company.

        Kate: Quite a lot actually.  Probably more then than I am entitled to.
 But we discuss it.  I mean, it's not really me saying "I want this" and them
going "We want this."  We do come to a compromise in a discussion, it's quite
human.
        Ed: Quite amicable.
        Kate: Yeah.
        Ed: OK.  By the way, those tour dates of yours, I've got a list of
them in front of me.  But I'm sure there's one or two people listening that
would like to have a moment to go and get a pencil and paper so in about five
minutes time.  It's now exactly half past seven, so about twenty five minutes
to I'll give a list of Kate's tour dates in April, OK.  So if you you're
interested, get pen and paper, we'll be ready for those.  Now, we've had
Barbara Clay from Hallyfax and we've got Silvia from North London.  Haven't we
Silvia?
        Silvia: Yes.  I was wondering would you have liked to live in a
different time.  Because you tend to mention re-incarnation quite a lot.
        K: Yes.  No, because I'm very happy in this particular lifetime, thank
you.  And I think all lifetimes have their own ups and downs and I'm really
happy to be here.  I think it's a good time.
        Sue: Do you think you might have lived before, then. Had some kind of
previous life?
        K: I don't know, it's very possible.  But it's not the sort of thing
you'd remember.  And I just believe that soulless [???] entities and people
that work on themselves will come back in some form.  All that energy just
can't go, it's gotta go somewhere.
        Ed: Have you had a feeling though that ever you might have been born
before?
        K: I get feeling that I've done things before, and whether it was a
past life or a future life or just something, I don't know.  I get a lot of
feelings thought that when I'm doing something for the first time that it's
happened before.
        Ed: I've had those feelings, I wish I could give them up sometimes.
        Sue: [Laughs] You thought you'd been one.  [Everyone laughs]  Anyway,
I thought I'd do a little bit of investigation from what you'd gathered by
now, into reincarnation.  And started with a man called Dr. Len Wilder, and
he's written a book called lives to remember.  He's actually a dentist, who
uses hynosis to treat his patients.  But he's also for several years now been
hypnotising people for a different purpose, taking them gradually back through
their lives, back through their childhood, right back to the time they were
born, and then further back then that.  And he's discovered that many people
change of voice, a change of accent, sometimes even a change of sex.  And the
first time he did this, some time ago, was with a London housewife called
Peggy Baily, who, in fact, when he took her back, further back in time, she
actually produced three previous lives.  She was first of all a young woman
called Sally Frasier.
        Len: As Sally Frasier she spoke with a deep Depen burr [???] and this
was a young girl who live round about the early part of the eighteenth
century, in Depen.  She marries a man called Sam Bond, she has children,
they're a farming family.  He dies, and then when she's in her late sixties,
she dies from old age.  Now the interesting thing is that although I used
modern words like doctor, when I say to her when she's ill and dying in bed, I
said "does the doctor come and see you" she says to me in her deep Depen burr,
"well I don't know what you mean," she says, "but the popcuri [???] comes."
And then I said, "Does he give you a prescription for medicine."  "I don't
know what you're talking about," she said, "he gives me potions and such like,
but they don't seem to do I no good."  She dies and then she is re-born round
about the early part of the nineteenth century as a Cockney fowling [???].
And she marries a man who is in the fruit business, she doesn't have a very
healthy life, and when she's in her early forties she dies actually of angina.
 She is then reborn again in the latter part of the nineteenth century as Lady
Alice Browning, and she's a spastic.  She lives twenty years and then dies.
And she has a very secluded, very confined life.  This is all very exiting
because Peggy Baily in the present life is a very ordinary person and it's
quite remarkable that somebody like this could have produced all these things.

        Sue: Do you think, Kate, if you were hypnotised, I mean what do you
think you might, perhaps, sorta life you might go back to.
        Kate: [Laughs] I'd give away a lot of secrets, that's for sure.  I
don't know.  I think that's a very, very interesting to do.  And there have
been a few books written by people who have gone through this regression.  I
don't know if it is very healthy actually, I personally wouldn't do it.  I
think it's very interesting thought.  And I can't say about my past lives or
whatever, I don't know.
        Sue: Cause it's the very foundation of the Buddhist religion, for
example.  They believe that the soul was never ever born.  It just is, it's
eternal, it was never born, it will never die.  It will go on reliving and
reliving until eventually it finds a resting place and ultimately finds a
nirvana, where it doesn't have to be reborn anymore.
        K: Hmm.  I think that beautiful.  I think that's such a beautiful...
        Ed: Yeah, but at the same time they never swat a fly because it might
be granny.  [Both laugh]

[More re-incarnation talk without Kate, I haven't transcribed it]

        Sue: Right, well we'll take another call now.  Steven Chandland on the
line from Hardfield.  Hello, Steven.
        Steven: Hello?
        Sue: Have you had any Psychic experiences?
        Steven: No, but sometimes I do things - feel as if I've done it
before.  I don't know if it's [??? inaudible] or what?  [Kate laughs]  Before,
you know?
        K: Yeah.
        Sue: So it's the same kind that your songs written about, de'javu?
        K: Yeah, that particular song is really about coincidences rather than
de'javu.  But de'javu is fascinating, it really is.
        Sue: Does it worry you Steven that you have these experiences?
        Steven: No, not really.
        Sue: You're not afraid of ghost or spirits or anything?
        Steven: No, I find them interesting.
        K: [Laughs] That's the way.
        Sue: When I was doing all this work, actually, I suddenly realized
that in a way, although I'd love to prove it true, if it actually was proved
true I'd be terrified, in fact I went to bed with a light on through my work.
Who's next on call?
        Ed: Yes, I think Francesca O'salvin is there in Buckingtra.
        Fransesca: Yes.
        Ed: Hello, Fransesca.
        Fransesca: Hello.  I'd just to say first of all, to Kate, that I do a
lot of writing myself and while I'm writing I play her records and they really
do influence me.
        K: Really!
        Fransesca: And I don't know, some of the tracks and one in particular,
Kashka From Baghdad.  I'd like to ask you where you got it from?
        K: What the idea?
        Fransesca: Yes.
        K: Are you a songwriter, or a...
        Fransesca: I write stories actually, but they give me... the songs
give me lots of moods.
        K: Oh, that's fantastic!
        Fransesca: I sit their with the headphones on...
        K: Oh!
        Fransesca: ... and my book in front of me.
        K: Oh, how lovely.  Well, Kashka From Baghdad that actually came from
a very strange American Detective series that I caught a couple of years ago,
and there was a musical theme that they kept putting in.  And they had an old
house, in this particular thing, and it was just a very moody, pretty awful
serious thing.  And it just inspired the idea of this old house somewhere in
Canada or America with two people in it that no-one knew anything about.  And
being a sorta small town, everybody wanted to know what everybody what else
was up to.  And these particular people in this house had a very private thing
happening.
        Fransesca: That's really interesting.  Brilliant.  Anyway, another
thing, in the first album there are a couple of songs that I thought are about
having a baby.  Is that true?
        K: Um, yes.  Not actually having a baby.  But... Yeah, the Kick Inside
is about a lady who is pregnant who is going to do herself in.  [Laughs]
        Fransesca: Does it mean much to you, I mean the idea of having a baby?

        K: I think that is one of the most incredible phenomenas of the world,
the fact that two people can produce another person.  I think it's just
incredible.  And I think a lot of people don't respect that amazing thing
enough, I think to many people treat it in a selfish way.       Frasesca: I
think that really comes through on these songs.
        K: Oh, great!
        Ed: Are you married Frasesca?
        Fransesca: No, I not.  No, I'm only nineteen. I've got a long time
yet.  Thank you.
        K: Thank you, bye.
        Ed: Right, Philip Preston is in Canterbury. Hello Philip.
        Philip: Hello?
        Ed: Yes.
        Philip: Can I ask Kate something?
        Ed: Sure, go ahead.  That's what we're here for.  [Kate Laughs]
        Philip: What was your eerie experience Kate?
        K: My most what?
        Philip: Eerie.
        K: Eerie experience.  Oo, I don't know, a lot of things happen.
Sometimes in the recording studio, when you're out there alone, with all the
lights dim, you sorta feel very strange things sometimes.  That can be quite
eerie.  You sometimes feel that maybe there's someone in the room with you,
that sorta thing.  But I haven't really had anything extremely eerie or
horrible happen to me.  I've had a really quite nice life, actually.  I
couldn't think of anything at the moment, I wish I could for you.
        Ed: What about you Philip, anything eerie happen to you?
        Philip: No, not yet.
        Ed: Not yet, how old are you?
        Philip: Thirteen.
        Ed: Oh, you've got plenty of time.  Ha ha.  Thank you for the call,
bye bye.
        Philip: Bye.
        Ed: Bye, bye.  Right it's nineteen and a half before eight o'clock.  I
promised those tour dates and here they come now.  [Gives tour dates]  We're
going back to calls now, and Jeff Woodfields in Crick.  Good evening Jeff.
        Jeff: Hello.
        K: Hello!
        Jeff: Hi, on all the tracks of yours that I've listened to, I've
detected an element of the supernatural.  I wondered if you've considered
yourself to be a little psychic.
        K: Um, I don't think I'm psychic, but I think I have a slight
advantage being a female to start with, because I think females are, I'm not
saying they're more sensitive, but they just seem to be more open to certain
areas like that.   And I do get very strong feeling sometimes that do turn out
to be true, just feelings about friends, relatives, that sorta thing.  But I
think everyone gets them.
        Jeff: Right, in your dreams?
        K: Sometimes in dreams, yeah.  But sometimes just feelings, when your
sitting down and you suddenly think about someone.  Something wrong, and you
give them a ring and there it is.
        Jeff: I wish I could do that.
        K: It doesn't happen much, but I think it happens to everyone.
Everyone I know has had very similar experiences.
        Sue: I think it's something mothers often feel about their children,
isn't it?
        K: Oh, yeah.  I mean they're part of them.  Isn't it really?  Yeah.
        Jeff: OK, thank a lot.
        Ed: Thank you Jeff, thanks for your call.  From Crick in North
Hamptinsure.  Mark Shephfort is up their in Burmingham.  Good evening, Mark.
        Mark: Good evening, Ed.  Hi, Kate.
        K: Hello, Mark!
        Mark: Do you believe in astrology?
        K: Um, I think there's a lot in astrology.  I think it's a very
ancient, well mathatically planned out thing that a lot of people boo-hoo.
And I think it's very unfair, because there's a lot of very strong, scientific
knowledge in there.  I think it's been commercialized a lot, which is why
people become so cynical.  But I think the fact that people are born at a
certain time, on a certain day, with stars in certain position is bound to to
have some effect on that person because we are ruled by everything around us.
        Mark: So, every morning when your morning paper comes you grab it and
sorta leap through to your horoscope and see what your days going to be like?
        K: Oh, no.  I don't believe those, I think they're rubbish.  They're
just someone who's made a generalized, commercial thing for the people to
entertain themselves with.  I think real astrology, there is something in it,
yeah.
        Mark: Um, just another question.  Originally your Hippodrome date was
supposed for March the 4th and it was put back a month, why was that?
        K: Well that was because of our rehearsal time, and in fact none of
these dates should have got out.  That was due to someone who was a bit
naughty along the line.  But we're coming out in April.
        Ed: Alright Mark.  Thank you very much for calling.  Do you lead your
life by any sort of set rules or set standards.
        K: Oh, yeah.  I have what I call my own religion.  I think everyone's
got their own religion.  They are various certain things I stick by.
        Ed: Such as?
        K: Such as not eating meat.  Such as trying to be aware of people
around me and doing my work and trying to be positive about it.  I think being
positive is very important.
        Ed: Good.  I wonder if Jim Belhouse is positive up their in
Inbakeyhee.  [Kate Laughs]
        Jim: Very Positive! [Kate laughs]
        Ed: Very positive, are you Jim?
        Jim: Ah, yes.  Hello Kate!
        K: Hello.
        Jim: There's just one thing I'd like to say just before I start
talking to Kate.  I'd like to, on behalf of myself and my family, thank Radio
1 for making it possible that we are able to speak to Kate tonight.  And I
praise God, you know, because there is only one and He's in charge of all of
us. [Kate Laughs] And I'd like to thank all the BBC and the trouble that
they've gone to in putting on this program.
        Ed: Thank you.  You're not the head of Radio Scotland are you?  [Kate
laughs]
        Jim: Ah, well you've heard of Brother Jim?
        Ed: [Laughs]  Anyway Jim.  Thanks for your call.  Was there anything
you wanted to ask Kate?
        Jim: Well, I would like to ask Kate... Well I believe I already have
the answer... I would like to ask Kate if she believes in God?
        K: Believe in God?  Well I think there are a lot of Gods and I
certainly believe in my God, but I wonder if it's the same God as yours.
        Jim: Well, I believe that it is.  Do you believe in the Lord Jesus
Christ?
        K: I believe in him, but he's not the one I live my life by, I must
admit.
        Jim: We, as Christians, we do believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and I
know for a fact that if you believe in God and he has it written that the only
way to him is through the Lord Jesus Christ then I believe that your God is
the same as mine.
        K: So do I.  I believe if you believe in anything... I mean if God is
really... I hate to say this because it sounds blasphemous, but God is in fact
some kind of label for people to put all their belief and love into.  And I
think that if people put all their belief and love into other people and what
they're doing, then I think you do find it, I think you do reach an aim.
        Ed: Alright, Kate.  Thank you Jim for your call!
        Jim: Well, um...
        Ed: No, um we've got loads of calls on the line so I'll have to cut
your short there.  But that you very much for your interest.
        K: Thanks, Jim!
        Ed: There he goes, alright back to you Sue.
        Sue: Of course everybody has the different doctrines.  [Sputters]
We're talking about reincarnation again.  Christians, of course, believe that
this is the life which, depending on how you live it, is the only life which
determines whether you're going to heaven or hell, which precludes immediately
any sort of reincarnation.  Which kind of direction would you tend towards?
        K: Well, I think certainly this life at the moment is all we're
living, but I think its... I don't see how anyone can really say what happens
when our body dies.  I mean there's no way of proving where the energy goes.
I hope one day they'll be able to tap it.
        Ed: Yes, but the best of people, we're glad to say are left behind.
And the very best, if I may but it here Sue, to say that.  Because we have a
piece of music which is a favorite of yours, from the late Buddy Holly.
        K: Oh, he'll always live.
        Ed: He'll always live, won't he.
        K: Yeah, always.
        Ed: Especially with this one.

[Every Day is played]

        Ed: Lovely stuff.  Thank you for that one, Kate.
        K: Thank you.
        Ed: Kate Bush is with us on Personal Call.  It's eleven minutes before
eight o'clock.  We're going down to Britan on the South Coast to say good
evening to Malcum Cootah.
        Malcum: Hello Kate.
        K: Hello, Malc! [Everybody laughs]
        Malcum: Hello.  I have two questions for you actually.
        K: Yeah.
        Malcum: The first one is: are you really as mysterious as you seem on
the telly?
        K: [Makes funny voice] Who me?  Me, mate?  Mysterious?  No, I'm not
mysterious.
        Malcum: So that's really just for the act, is it?
        K: Well, when I'm performing I become [??? a node???] and that [???
node] is not really me because if I did what I did normally it would be really
boring.  So I become a particular personality like [??? cartoons] and that's
why it's all [??? mysterious] or whatever.  But I'm really normal.
        Malcum: You're really normal.
        K: Yeah.
        Sue: [Inaudible]
        K: I think I must be a terrible exhibitionist.  [Inaudible]
        Ed: Over to you, Jackie Andrews in Rochester.
        Jackie: Hello, Kate.
        K: Hello, Jackie.
        Jackie: Do you ever go wrong on stage?
        K: Do I go wrong.  Well, I've yet to find out, actually because this
is my first tour and I'm [??? might mess up and lose an eye??? Laughs].  I
don't know, but things do go wrong occasionally, even on TV and all you can do
is cope with it.  And it's real good, it's real good for you to try and cope
with it.
        Jackie: [Inaudible]
        Kate: [Inaudible]
        Ed: [Inaudible] ...on the end of the phone, and we'll do that for you.
 Alright, Jackie.
        Jackie: Yes.
        Ed: Alright, then.  Over to you, Lesley in Cardiff.
        Lesley: Hello, Kate?
        K: Hello, Lesley. I'm [Inaudible]
        Lesley: Oh, great.  Thanks [Inaudible]
        K: Oh, thanks.
        Lesley: I was reading in the Guardian, [Inaudible] and it said [???
sex ????] voyeurs.
        K: I don't know, it's a bit heavy.  I don't know.  I guess, well I
think that really very flattering.  And maybe I do, maybe I do.  I'm probably
quite calculating behind my creativity, yeah.
        Lesley: But if you did, do you think it's fair?
        K: Is anything fair?  I mean when I write a song [inaudible]
particular audience.  When I write I write the song.  And I'm involved in it
and I don't think commercially or anything.  But you do sort of aim
[inaudible]
        Lesley: That's very nice [Inaudible] in the Guardian.
        K: Yeah, I didn't read that. [Laughs]
        Lesley: [Inaudible] Who's your favorite author, or books, and why?
        K: Well, one of my favorite authors is Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.  I think
he's amazing.  And the reason I love him is that it's science fiction and I
think his writing style is amazing because [inaudible]
        [Inaudible]
        Mike: All I want to ask you is how does it feel to be a sex symbol
overnight?
        K: Ooo!  I don't know.  Tell me. [Both Laugh]
        Mike: [Inaudible] Do you feel that you are a sex symbol?
        K: No, I don't at all.  In fact now I feel a lot more worried about
how I look then I ever have done, because of all this emphasis on the way I
look.  Because I'm performing I do have a very different way of looking when
I'm quite normal.
        Mike:You must agree that certain of your tracks are a little bit,
should we say, erotic?
        K: Ooo!  Shall we? [Laughs]  Yeah, I guess so but what's wrong with
that?
        Mike: I wondered if you felt that you were a sex symbol.
        K: If people want to label me that way, there's nothing I can do about
it.  I'm not a sex symbol.  It's very flattering for me to think that people
even consider that but I obviously I have errowssements and emotions as other
people do and I just happen to put them in my songs.
        Mike: I see.
        Ed: Alright Mike.  I assure you sitting here that she is sexy.  [Kate
laughs] Alright.  I'm one up on you, there.
        Mike: May I talk about phenomena as well.
        Ed: Well, we've got a few more calls and I want to play another of
Kate's choice of music as well.  So if you don't mind.
        Mike: Thank you.
        Ed: Alright thanks for calling. There's a song, actually that you've
chosen called Nature Boy.
        K: Oh, yeah.
        Ed: Why do you like this one so much?
        K: Well the first time I heard it in fact  George Benson's version and
I thought "what an incredible song."  And I happen to hear it by Nat King Cole
and he's like Billy Holliday, I mean his voice - just so beautiful.

[The song is played]

        Ed: Nat King Cole, nature boy.  And that was written by a man who it
was his only composition.
        K: Oh, that song.  And that guy's voice, the two together, oh that's
just beautiful.
        Ed: Marvelous record.  Lets go straight now to - oh we're staying here
in London.  To Amanda Cotten.  Hello Amanda.
        Amanda: Hello.
        K: Hello, Amanda.
        Amanda: Have you got any ambitions?
        K: Ambitions.  Oh, I've got so many.  I want to do everything.
[Laughs] Yeah.
        Amanda: What are the main ones, though.
        K: Well, really all I want to keep doing is what I'm doing now and
just try to get better because I've got a long way to go.  I want to keep
writing songs and singing and I'd like to keep training as a dancer cause that
really makes me feel good.
        Amanda: Thank you.
        K: Thank you.
        Sue: And our last caller, probably, for today is Pierre Craddock from
Cromwell.  Pierre.
        Pierre: Hello, Kate.
        K: Hello, Pierre.
        Pierre: On your album Lionheart and The Kick Inside, there's a symbol
on the actual kite on the back and on the box on the front of the album...
        K: Oh, you noticed.
        Pierre: Yes.  Have they only sorta symbolize?
        K: Well, what in fact it is, it's a KT...
        Pierre: It's a TK or a KT..
        K: A KT and it's sorta [teasings ???] that actual sign is an old Mac
Templers [???] sign and 'round the countryside you'll find it scattered on the
doorways of churches and things and it was just very fitting because I used to
be in a band called the KT Bush Band.  Katie, KT.  And it's just a theme that
we've kept running.  It's a sorta motto.
        Ed: Alright Pierre, there's the answer to the question.  So we've got
one more call to go.  THanks for yours.  Heather Norris from Ryan, Sussix.
        Heather: Hello?
        K: Hello.
        Heather: I'd just like to ask you, who do you most like to meet?
        K: Who would I like to meet most?  Quite a few people.
        Ed: Well, I'm here!
        K: I've met him, he's here, yeah.  I'd love to meet David Bowie.  I'd
love to meet.  I'd really liked to have met Gracho Marx, but I'm to late.
        Sue: I'd just like to say, that I agree with the girl earlier that
you'll definitely knock em all out [??? all] England.
        K: Thank you.
        Sue: Thanks alot.
        K: Bye, bye.
        Ed: Ok, Kate.  Well Kate, our time is nearly up.  We'd like to thank
you for being our very first guest on Personal Call.
        K: My pleasure, it's been great!
        Ed: It's been quite [??? grueling] isn't it.
        K: Yeah.
        Ed: Right, but you cope marviously.
        K: Thank you.
        Ed: I know there's been lots of listeners tonight, who haven't been
able to get through to you.  But I'm sure that most of the questions have been
answered.  And thank you for being so sympathetic with all the question and
answers.
        K: Thank you for being able to [??? inaudible]
        Ed: It's been really good, hasn't it?
        K: Yeah.
        Ed: But we'd like to go out with your latest single, which is a "Wow".
[Kate Laughs] Right?
        K: Yeah!
        Ed: But we'd like to... we'll start that as I just close with the
credits for this evening.  [Wow and closing credits]  ...and most of all
thanks to you, Kate Bush.
        K: Thank you, take care.

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!rhill
ARPA: crash!pnet01!rhill@nosc.mil
INET: rhill@pnet01.cts.com