Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tokyo

From: Ken.Saintjohn@samba.acs.unc.edu
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1991 13:38:54 -0800
Subject: Tokyo
To: Love-Hounds@eddie.mit.edu

>From article <9108011127.aa10088@fscott.sco.COM>, by jondr@sco.COM (Dances Wit Voles):
> From the point of view of my Kateological studies, the party was an
> unqualified smash.  I finally got to see GLC and Les Dogs (both excellent)
> and the infamous Japanese videos, which are a scream.  I am probably going
> to hang up my Kate parodying gloves after having seen what those Japanese
> folks did to "Them Heavy People."  For those not blessed enough to have seen
> it... well, words hardly do it justice, but I'll give it a shot.

 Just a note about the "7th Tokyo Song Festival" This is a part of the
entery from the book "KaTe Bush Complete" for those who have not seen
the book and may be curious:

 JUNE 78 - "KaTe goes to Japan for the 7th Tokyo Song Festival.  She
performs MOVING (which is the debut single in Japan) live to an
audience of 11,000 at the Nippon Budokan.  The TV audience is nearer
35-million (yes 35 MILLION!ks)" The entry goes on to say.  "In Japan
KaTe makes her only TV advertisment - for Seiko watched."

(Naturally the following is all IMHO)

 Upon my first viewing of this Japanese performance one of the reasons
as to why the Japanese seem to just love KaTe became clear to me, here
you have this petite young English girl who performed in a vocal range
that must have been very close to that of a traditional Japanese
female vocalist.  Her look and sound must have seemes strangely close
to home and yet different at the same time.  I think she looks rather
Japanese in the Seiko adverts, anyone else seem them?  What do you
think?

                                     Ken SaintJohn
                              Ken.Saintjohn@bbs.oit.unc.edu
                   "I think quotes are very dangerous things!" KaTe Bush...