Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Your first KaTe experience?

From: mandorallen@st1.vuw.ac.nz
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1991 13:46:34 -0800
Subject: Your first KaTe experience?
To: <love-hounds@HAYES.IMS.ALASKA.EDU>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@rata.vuw.ac.nz (USENET News System)

Hello Love-Hounds, I hope you all had a (what's the word?) serendipitous
KaTemas (or is that Arniemas? :-). Myself, I had a Katemas party all on my own -
basically consisting of a battered old cassette recorder, a few sticks of very
advanced incense and a certain 6 albums... I also had the pleasure of hearing
our local classic rock station including KaTe in their birthday calls. (Thirty-
three? Sheesh! Almost old enough to be my mother! What a scary thought! :-)
	Anyhoo, the point of this posting is - seeing as the DID thang was so
well covered, I'd like to see some more submissions on the following subject...

	"How did YOU first get into God^H^H^HKaTe?"

Here's my story... I was eulogizing to a good friend one rainy day about the
wonders of the book "Wuthering Heights" (if any lovehounds haven't read this
yet, then NOW IS THE TIME! See for yourself What Started It All.) and she asked
if I'd heard the song, to which I replied "No" (I really was out of it, wasn't
I?) She suggested I lay my hands on this album called "The Kick Inside" which
included said song. I thought about it - I asked others about the song, getting
comments like "squeaky" and "high-pitched" (which I made them regret later!)
So anyway, I tooled down to the record shop and got said album, noting with
pleasure the advanced cover artwork.
	Now we get to the good bit. I entered my music sanctuary, slapped on
the headphones and said cassette and sat down to listen. OOOHHHHH KATE! It was
an experience I'll never forget as long as I live. That Voice! From the first
line of "Moving" I was hooked! I'd never heard anything like it! OOOHHHHH KATE!
(did I already say that?) There are still not words in the english language
to describe the pure thrill of hearing KaTe for the first time. Words like
"breathtaking", "pure", "angelic" spring to mind, and spring right back out
again for being totally inadequate. To this day, "Moving" would probably be
my fave Katesong, just for the beautiful memories it brings back.
	And I just can't describe what hearing "Wuthering Heights" for the first
time was like. But you probably know that already.
	My friends must have really regretted it. For the next 3 weeks I could
talk about nothing but KaTe. I still can't. <:-)

Anyone else got any good Three-fisted Tales O' Kate?
--
This was the Bard, Anthony Hobbs... mandorallen@st1.vuw.ac.nz, and proud of it.
"I'd rather listen to KaTe Bush than breathe" - th' Bard, 1991