Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

DIDs

From: barger@nnmdmelb.telecom.oz.au (Jorn Barger)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1991 06:45:31 -0800
Subject: DIDs
To: rec-music-gaffa@munnari.OZ.AU
Illegal-Object: Syntax error in Sender: address found on hayes.ims.alaska.edu:Sender: Lov) ^ ^-expected word \-Extraneous program text
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Posted-Date: 22 Jul 91 14:45:31 GMT

>>Well, I don't know about the acceleration/deceleration part, but I do
>>know the answer to the "get-to-alpha-C-in-5-minutes" problem.

Given a head start of about 1 year (in an inertial frame) and linearly
accelerating at a rate of about g (=10m/s^2), you outrun photons. One
side effect is you lose radio contact from the greatly redshifted
signals sent out after you. What you see in relativistic motion is
really neat and not necessarily what is there. Lorentz contracted objects
appear "rotated". Any ideas on what a relativistic top looks like?
--
bob jones; Disclaimer: "I just said what?"; jones@ohstpy.mps.ohio-stat