Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Umbrella" review for The Innocence Mission

From: <@EDDIE.MIT.EDU:mus0eka@cabell.vcu.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1991 17:28:05 -0800
Subject: "Umbrella" review for The Innocence Mission
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Illegal-Object: Syntax error in From: address found on hayes.ims.alaska.edu:From: Everette K.Abbott <mus0eka@cabell.vcu.edu> ^ ^-illegal period in phrase \-phrases containing '.' must be quoted

			 "Umbrella"
		  By The Innocence Mission
       Review By: Keith Abbott (mus0eka@cabell.vcu.edu)
       	             Date: July 2, 1991

     The Innocence Mission's 2nd album, "Umbrella" successfully continues
the artistic, emotional, and spiritual characteristics we all came to love and
enjoy through their debut album, "The Innocence Mission." In the past, they
have been compared to such artists as Kate Bush, 10,000 Maniacs, and Edie
Brickell, but with this album, we certainly cannot say that this group is
trying to copy anyone. They have won the hearts of the critics and they have
established themselves as a well respected band.

     "And Hiding Away," the first song on the album, is definitely by far
the most fun and upbeat song that you'll hear this go around. The melody
is catchy, and the harmonies produced by guitarist, Don Peris, lead to a
sense of mystery, yet keep the overall playful feeling alive, however
this feeling doesn't last. The next song, "Sorry & Glad Together"
immediately portrays the feelings of sadness and despair. The slow tempo
helps aid lead singer Karen Peris' melody through it's twists and turns.
Meanwhile, Karen supplies a shrilling, yet angelic, backup harmony which
adds to already present emotional power.

     "Umbrella" is probably one of Mrs. Peris' greatest individual
achievements. This solo of synthesizer, and voice is all her own. There is
an occasional whimper of the guitar, but most of this song is done solo.
She tells a story here, as if told by a tired old mother to her young
daughter. One thing is for sure, this song will touch your heart if nothing
else on this album.

    The song "These Waltzing Days Are Over/Mintas Waltz" is very much a
musical achievement. How many times do we hear a waltz put to rock music?
Not many, I'm sure... However, I think the Innocence Mission would make
any classical composer very happy. They certainly do the term, waltz,
justice. Karen's neo-romantic melodies and the band's rhythmic simplicity
combined with their many harmonic layers, continue the tradition that many
of the classical romantics created back in the 1800's.

    There is, however, one song that sticks out among the rest. It's called
"Revolving Man." This song is a kind of classical medieval twist. Mr. Peris
plays an acoustic guitar accompaniment, while Mrs.Peris sings the melody
overhead. The harmonies move strangely, but not so far that they stray from
our sense of tonalism. Suddenly, the bass comes in, and soon after, the
drums. They occasionally drop out, leaving the boy-girl duet to continue
on.

     The rest of this album is done in much the same spirit as almost
everything they have ever done. The songs are of moderate tempo and contain
the picture paintings we have experienced in the past. They are by no means
the same songs reproduced, but they do result in the same outcome. If you
liked the Innocence Mission's first album, then most likely you will like
this one.