Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Truth Or Dare?

From: rlm@ms_aspen.hac.com (R. L. McMillin)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1991 10:59:52 -0800
Subject: Truth Or Dare?
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

> BTW, <oh no, he's going to say it!> all this talk of squid reminds <oh,
> i can't look -- tell me when it's over> me:  i *liked* Madonna's
> "Truth or Dare" movie.  <that's done it;  we'll have to change our name
> now...>  i was suprised, even astounded, by the quality of her live
> performances (first time i've ever heard her really sing... something she
> seems to avoid on her albums), and i enjoyed her post-main-stream
> psycho-executive attitude off-stage.  for all the sex, there was
> refreshingly little sexism (but then, i thought "Thelma and Louise" went
> easy on the guys...)

"Truth Or Dare"?  Yikes!  It's been a long time since I was locked in a
room with someone as boring, selfish, and cunningly shallow as Madonna --
for two and a half hours.  Yes, she's an expert at generating profitable
images, and yes, she knows her history (at least of the visual arts...
nice tribute to Kubrick in one of her dance sequences).  Madonna's motivation
stops at her wallet.  (Notice how quickly she became a proponent of
free speech when the Pope threatened to shut down her shows in Rome?)
If anything, I felt sickened after watching this.  That's this reporter's
opinion, anyway...

... and now, back to Kate Bush, who was already in progress...