Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: ee8kh@gdt.bath.ac.uk
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1991 08:13:29 -0800
To: rec-music-gaffa@ukc.ac.uk

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: ee8kh@gdt.bath.ac.uk (K House)
Subject: Re: Kate's intelligence (measurable)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1991 16:13:25 GMT

Neal R Caldwell writes:

>I assume that "mock A's" are some sort of practice exam taken to prepare
>for the regular A-levels.  Whether it could be said that she got four
>of these "mock A's" I don't know.

>Considering that she had thought of becoming a vet or a phyciatrist
>it would make sense (from what our international correspondents have
>told us) that she would take a large number of Os and then prepare
>for her A-levels with about four "mock As".

Perfectly sensible. You're correct that "mock A's" are practice exams, they are
set by the teachers in the schools (as opposed to being set by Examining boards
like the real things) usually three or four months before the real exams.
It is not really reasonable to claim to have "mock A's" since they have no real
comparative value. Having passed them however is at least a guide to a person's
likely performance in the real thing.
I've never heard about Kate taking mocks but if she stayed through most of the
Sixth Form (i.e. yrs 6/7 ages 16-18) then she probably did. That doesn't
actually mean that she did well though  ! (or that she didn't :-)

Kevin
|  Kevin House           |  School of Electronic & Electrical Engineering,    |
|  ee8kh@uk.ac.bath.gdt  |  University of Bath, ENGLAND                       |