Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kirsty MacColl Question

From: dbk@tove.cs.umd.edu (Dan Kozak)
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1991 06:09:36 -0800
Subject: Kirsty MacColl Question
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@mimsy.umd.edu

In article <9106152117.AA20077@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu> barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.EDU (Jorn Barger) writes:
>Vickie here.

>New good album...Kirsty MacColl's new album is WONDERFUL! Anyone
>who is already a Kirsty fan will be overjoyed with it. If you're
>now familiar with Kirsty, she sang on The Pogues' song "Fairytale
>of New York" and also had songs on the _Red, Hot & Blue_ and the
>soundtrack to _She's Having A Baby_.

Ah, yes the wonderful cover of "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby"
(tho' this may have come out before the Smiths' own version, I'm not
sure).  When I heard this on the soundtrack (1 guess why I'd bought
_that_ one :-) I finally got to find out who this singer was who I'd
heard for years.  Back in the halcyon days of true progressive radio,
local station WHFS used to play "They Don't Know About Us" fairly
frequently, but only in the middle of 30 minute sets that I couldn't
stick around for the end of (the one time I did, the DJ screwed up the
set order and got laughing so hard that he just gave up without
finishing :-).

Now the question: does anyone know how to get hold of "They Don't Know
About Us" or any of her other early singles?  Have the songs been on
any comps or anything like that?  A discography would be great, but
I'll settle for tips on tracking that song down.

#dan

Clever:         dbk@cs.umd.edu    | "Softly her tower crumbled in the
Not-so-clever:  uunet!mimsy!dbk   |  sweet silent sun." - Nabokov