Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Does it really have to be Happy vs. Kate?

From: chatham!cboyer@duke.cs.duke.edu (Charles Boyer)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1991 15:09:29 -0800
Subject: Does it really have to be Happy vs. Kate?
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu

>It's OK for people to gush about Kate Bush. It's OK for Ed Suranyi to
>post about when he heard Kate Bush on the radio. It's OK for IED to
>assert that Kate Bush is the greatest musician of the 20th century.
>It's OK for Ron Hill to post long Kate Bush interview transcripts.

Yes, that' very true.  At the same time, some folks get a little
over-obsessive, posting inanities like "KaTe is God" and other such
stuff.  No flames or insult intended by that, it's just a little *too*
much in my opinion.  Not that my opinion is terribly important...

I can say, as an artist and as a fan, that artists definitely DO NOT
appreciate people who over-obsess.  In fact, it scares many of them
deeply, and leaves images of Mark David Chapman dancing in their heads.
Now then, I don't think that anyone here is anywhere near that level, but
there are other forums where being a fan crosses through some grey zone
demarking sanity and madness.

The bottom line is that .gaffa is about Kate Bush, her music, et. al.
It's entirely appropriate what goes on here.  So, I agree with you that
Ed Suranyi, etc. have a right to gush here.  That's why *i'm* here, and
I've learned a great deal about a musician whom I respect deeply and
would like to work with one day.  I've also been spurred on to listen to
other bands, like Throwing Muses, that I might have otherwise overlooked.
 I would now like to hear Happy Rhodes, because there are those on this
newgroup whose opinions I respect that recommend her highly.

'nuff said, sorry to waste so much bandwidth babbling.

                        Charles