Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: ha! got another one!

From: larry@csccat.cs.com (Larry Spence)
Date: 5 Jun 91 19:32:46 GMT
Subject: Re: ha! got another one!
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1991Jun3.162934.16156@cbnews.cb.att.com> nrc@cbema.att.COM (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) writes:
>From article <9106020801.AA14581@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>, by jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.EDU:
>>
>> "I gotta play some of this woman's music for you..."
>>
>> "Who is she?"
>>
>> "I told you already, she's this great singer/songwriter from Albany, NY.
>> If you like KaTe as much as you say you do, you'll like it."
>
>Sorry, but this really irks me.  Why not just rephrase it into "If you don't
>like this you don't like KaTe as much as you say you do."?  I doubt
>that Jeff really meant it that way but I've noticed a trend toward a
>certain "Musical Correctness" in this group that I find distressing.

I don't think that this is a particularly new or startling trend here.  I
guess it's inevitable that in a newsgroup dedicated to Kate that the value
of artists would be proportional to their Kate-ishness.  Rare exceptions
to this have been a few mentions of Bill Nelson, David Sylvian, etc., by
IED and others.  Can someone clue me in as to whether I should order the Happy
CD because it's Kate-ish or because (I hope) it's great in a _unique_ way?
Let's face it, no one can out-Kate Kate (lately, not even Kate can do it %( ).

>The last artist that was presented to me this way was Jane Siberry.  I
>tried it, it's nice, it doesn't particularly appeal to me.  Jane
>Siberry is obviously talented but to me it's absurd to put her in
>in a class with Kate.

I agree with that, for what it's worth.  She's very talented, but seems to
be standing directly in Kate's shadow.  I like _The Walking_, but it didn't
make me want to run out and buy her other albums.  Too uneven.  Just MHO...

>But I reserve the right make my own decisions
>on who's music I like or don't like and I refuse to have my love of
>Kate's music called into question because of it.

Fer sure.  Do we really want to encourage a crop of second-generation Kates
to flood the market?  Just listen to Toyah screw up the new Fripp disc for a
good example.  N.B.: I'm not implying that Happy is one of these, I haven't
heard her stuff yet.  Could someone please give us a mini-review? If it's
already been done, I'd appreciate a copy by email.  Thanks.

--
Larry Spence
larry@csccat.cs.com