Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Various things, few related directly to Kate

From: stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu (Steve VanDevender)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 91 10:19:37 PDT
Subject: Various things, few related directly to Kate

Woj asks if there are any Firesign Theatre releases on CD.  I
have _Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers_ on a "Mobile
Fidelity Sound Labs" CD.  (I wanted that album just for the title
alone.)  When I looked at the catalog to try to order it, it
looked like most of the releases that were in print were on CD,
with the exception of _Waiting For the Electrician or Someone
Like Him_ which was only available on cassette.  (_Waiting..._
was my first exposure to the Firesign Theatre, and now I'm
hooked.)

I sent off for Happy Rhodes's _Rearmament_ and _Ecto_ tapes last
weekend.  I can hardly wait.  I've been playing Vols. I and II
constantly, even more than I play Kate lately.  If anyone out
there hasn't tried Happy yet, order something of hers from Aural
Gratification and quit waiting.  The monetary cost is
insignificant compared to the power and beauty of her music.

There are some developing Kate fans on a local conferencing
system I use.  One KonverT, intrigued by the Kate lyrics I posted
in the music conference, borrowed _Hounds of Love_ and was not
surprisingly blown away by it all.  "The music, the lyrics, and
OHMIGOD that *voice*!," he said, "Kate Bush is the new Woman of
my Life."  Another person who is not apparently KonverTed
wondered if, because she is British, she is a "punk rocker" or a
"pop-o-matic", and I said she is none of the above, which is
why she is so appealing.  He also had this strange idea that
musical godliness is somehow related to one's royalty rate,
citing the Beatle's 20% rate just before their collapse.

Steve VanDevender 	stevev@greylady.uoregon.edu
"Bipedalism--an unrecognized disease affecting over 99% of the population.
Symptoms include lack of traffic sense, slow rate of travel, and the
classic, easily recognized behavior known as walking."