Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Frippery

From: Brian Patrick Arnold <ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 May 91 18:51:37 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Frippery

I am a little confused by some of the Fripp rumors being passed around,
so I figured I ought to introduce some more rumors of my own.

>...Mr. Fripp does not perform on this [LoCG Get Crafty] tape...

Fripp definitely plays on this tape.  He always plays in his own
compositions in concert, and the tape includes concert recordings.
Also, Fripp's unique "rapid false note" solo ditty style is clearly
evident in one of the two solos in "Aspiration," the last song of that
tape.

>>I wonder if [Fripp is] waiting for Bruford to finish the Yes
>>tour [before reforming King Crimson]?
>Very very unlikely (they hate each others' guts)...

Who said this?  Bill fondly repeated several of Fripp's sayings that
were evidently guiding Bill's direction in electronic drumming, in one
of those drumming magazines last year.  Fripp lived in Bill's apartment
in London in the early 70's.  I think they have a lot of respect for
each other.  Bill and Tony Levin named their recent Yes track "Evensong"
after the Eno-Fripp tune of the same name.  As for Adrian Belew however,
I think there is a whopping ton of animosity between Fripp and Belew,
easily observed in just about every Fripp or Belew article since 1984.
I just don't see the same between Bruford and Fripp.

In contrast, I see a symbiosis between Bruford and Fripp.  Following the
last Crimson breakup, Fripp's pet project was the LoCG acoustic guitar
orchestra, and Bruford's was his jazz band Earthworks.  Both were
personal root-seeking projects with avant garde twists.  Prior to the
breakup, Fripp worked on two experimental guitar duet recordings with
Andy Summers, and Bruford worked on two experimental piano-drum
recordings with Patrick Moraz.  Fripp contributed to a couple of David
Sylvian projects, and Bruford (and Levin) contributed to a David Torn
project--Torn and Sylvian also worked together as well directly
following those projects.  Both Fripp and Bruford are still actively
recording under the EG Records label.  I think it's ironic that Belew
left EG and sought art-fag status in his "Desire caught by the tail" and
pop status in the Bears and his recent solo projects which included
David Bowie and Budweiser radio commercials.  NB, I really "dig" Belew,
but he has definitely succombed.  I think Fripp and Bruford have a
strong bond.  Before I get into any astral projection crap, let me say
they might in fact hate each other, but I personally just don't see that.

>I question whether Fripp will play with musicians who haven't been
>through his Guitar Craft seminars, as he has [anal-retentive etc.]

One of the LoCG bits of propaganda says that the seminars aren't
necessarily the only way to become an accomplished musician, with a tone
respectful of the paths and dogmas of others.  Fripp played with
guitarists/etcs David Sylvian and Bill Nelson between 1985 and 1987, and
neither went through the seminars.

Are there any sources besides MTV which help confirm MTV's report that a
new Crimson will be formed, and who would be in the lineup?

- Brian