Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

FrippTalk

From: lsil!mhost!up61!rpeck@fernwood.mpk.ca.us (Ray Peck)
Date: Tue, 21 May 91 16:36:00 PDT
Subject: FrippTalk

With all this FrippTalk, I thought I'd contribute:
On MTV Music News this past weekend, there was an item that said:
"Robert Fripp, leader of arguably the most powerful Art-rock band
of the 70's, King Crimson, plans to form a new version of that band
this fall."  They also mentioned the new Fripp/Toyah disk.

Wa hoo!  I wonder if he's waiting for Bruford to finish the Yes
tour?  I sure hope

Someone asked about League O Crafty Guitarists' new album.  I guess that's
been answered, but I wanted to make sure that all fans are aware of the
"Get Crafty" cassette-only release.  8-(  I believe it's only available
from Guitar Craft directly: they were selling it at the LOCG show last
year in Santa Cruz.

I've seen LOCG twice, and both times were completely
life-altering.  It's a shame that the experience doesn't transfer to
disk.  The life recordings are great, but somehow the music gains much
of its impact from the focus of the moment, and the instant of performance.
And (to me, at least) this is lost on disk, qualitatively differently
than every other concert I've seen.

It's as if Fripp perfectly captured what he's talking about here:

>Now we come to the humanistic and philosophical reasons why I oppose the
>furtive taping of live music. I am seeking the quality of attention, of
>being in the moment without expectation and without history, the moment
>between the human _being_ and the human animal behavioral psychology so
>terrifyingly describes. As Blake put it, "He who bends himself a joy/Does
>the winged life destroy." Experiencing a piece of music repeatedly in an
>active state has its own qualities and merits. On tape, music is music:
>good, bad, lively, lethargic, spirited or whatever. In live performance,
>the music is still music there is another element: the music mediates a
>relationship between the player and the listener. This relationship is
>fragile and easily spoilt. To try to pin it down desrupts it, much like
>writing down one's thoughts during a meditation significantly disrupts
>the very process of meditation. For some players, this presents no
>difficulties, as with cameras, but it does for me. After all the years
>and miles I've covered with music, I've fully realized the significance
>of of the relationship between player and listener; what in music could
>be more primary, more valuable? To experience a piece of music once and
>only once is to experience that relationship in its most crystalline
>form. It cannot be repeated: how many times can one lose one's virginity?

A question: is there a Crimson/Fripp mailing list?  I've never seen
one on the list-of-lists.  How do I start one?  Is there sufficient
interest?

/****************************************************************
 * Ray Peck		       "The cumulative effects	of 	*
 * MIPS Design Engineer		combustion will render the 	*
 * LSI Logic Corporation	planet uninhabitable long 	*
 * m/s g-810			before we burn the last drop 	*
 * 1525 McCarthy Blvd	 	of oil or the last pound of 	*
 * Milpitas, CA 95305		coal" - Mason Willrich,		*
 *				President/CEO of Pacific	*
 * (408) 954-4638		Gas & Electric Enterprises	*
 * rpeck@lsil.com	 					*
 * rpeck@jessica.stanford.edu					*
 * "Civilization is a race between education and disaster." -	*
 *		- Albert Einstein				*
 * "I try not to speak more clearly than I think." - N. Bohr	*