Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: dulce et decorum est--a happy confection

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward J. Suranyi)
Date: Wed, 15 May 91 20:27:29 PDT
Subject: Re: dulce et decorum est--a happy confection
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Observed in the Canadian paper Globe & Mail's weekly TV supplement
>_Broadcast Week_ (for 11-17 May) under the new video release column
>was a review of a film entitled _The Chocolate War_. The film concerns
>the "clandestine hazing" and other sundry such low and immoral acts
>carried on or around a young male teen at a Catholic prep school. It
>boasts, as the reviewer puts it, a "driving score" that includes
>contributions from peter gabriel, KATE BUSH and joan armatrading.
>
>This do be news to me. Might any of you out there have any further
>intelligence about this particular piece of cinema, such as, for
>instance, which song(s) of KaTe's was employed?
>
>"napoleon dynamite" <gravende@epas.utoronto.ca>

I saw the movie when it was first released in movie theaters,
about two years ago.  I was attracted to it precisely because
of the line at the bottom of the ad which said, "Featuring music
by Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush. . ."

The Kate song is "Running Up That Hill", and it came on at the
extreme end of the movie, so most of it is actually over the
closing credits.  It was very nice to hear, but it lost something
because people were continually filing out while it was playing.

The movie itself was pretty good, but not great.

I'm surprised that it's just being released on video in Canada;
I'm pretty sure it's been out for a long time (like a year) in the
US.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov