Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Happy Happy Happy

From: Jeff Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 May 91 22:01:56 -0500
Subject: Re: Happy Happy Happy
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Tom Johnson writes:

>So, tell me more about Happy Rhodes.  Where is she from?

Albany (but we knew that...;-)

>Does she play live?

Vickie says she used to play occasionally around Albany with Kevin, but
that they haven't done it in a while...

>Why hasn't David Lynch signed her up to do the soundtrack
>for his next movie?

Because the music industry doesn't know she exists... <sigh>

>What can we do to help make her famous?

Ya got me.  One idea might be to call your local alternative station (you
know, the only station in town that even thinks about playing KaTe) and
requesting a song; naturally, they'll have no idea who you're talking about.
Maybe you could loan them your CD...;-)

Here's a bit of info that's a bit meatier...it's excerpted from a letter
Happy sent me last August, when I wrote for a catalog and asked a couple
of questions...

     "I started writing music when I was approximately 14, and I started
recording when I was 18.  I'm now 25.  My main instrument was, and is,
the accoustic [sic] guitar, but I've never considered myself a virtuoso on
any one instrument.  The four cassetes from which you've heard excerpts, were
recorded by myself alone, over a period of about 2 years.  Back then, I
would record and mix about 3 songs a night.  I would usually lay down accoustic
[sic] guitar first, or drums, then layer on any other parts.  Last would be the
vocals."

<sigh>  Back in August, when this was written, she was still hoping to have
_Warpaint_ out in mid-fall.  Well, it was worth the wait anyhow...

Hope this has proven interesting.

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |