Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: I'm A Happy Camper

From: jeff@sqa.dsg.ti.com (jeff abbott (TB02))
Date: Mon, 13 May 91 11:25:50 CDT
Subject: Re: I'm A Happy Camper

In article <9105101643.AA15058@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
(Jeff Burka) writes:

>another Jeff (referring to me, Jeff Abbott) writes:

>>Well, when I opened the envelope and saw the rather gruesome cover art
>>(a green-haired monster with bulging eyes and huge incisors) my
>>expectations dropped at once. "No wonder this isn't in stores" I thought.
>>"No one would really be inclined to buy this album, Happy unheard,
>>with this godawful cover art."

>This is my favorite of the 5 covers; I think it's beautiful in a gruesome
>sort of way.

To each their own. I haven't seen the other covers yet, 'cause I don't
have the other 4 albums. :-(. It's just a personal bias on my part; if
I'd seen that cover in a record store, I wouldn't have tried the
music. God only knows what Tipper Gore would do. :-)

>>and I don't really think that it conveys the "demons" that allegedly
>>lurk in Happy's music.

>Allegedly?  ALLEGEDLY?  How can you say this, and then go on to talk in depth
>about the chilling nature of "Case of Glass" or mentione "Wretches Gone Awry"?

Okay, so "allegedly" wasn't a good choice of words. They *are* dark forces
at work in Happy's music. . .she could probably get a gig at the
Roadhouse in Twin Peaks. :-) I simply think that despite the darkness,
there is more beauty than suffering in Happy's music. Perhaps that's
what makes it compelling--that light can still exist in sadness and suffering.

>Take a listen to "Rainkeeper", the first track on Volume I.  "That I'm the
>other half of the psychopath/I'm here, better fear me,/the other side/know
>where you hide..."  Then try to talk about alleged demons.

Okay, Jeff, okay. . .your interpretation is Happily Correct.

>Kate's music is deep as well, but she hasn't had to draw these Giger alien
>figures to make that point.

>There are very few songs by KaTe that deal with the same sorts of psychoses,
>neuroses, and the general insanity and horror lurking in someone's mind.
>"Get Out of My House" "Leave it Open," and "Mother Stands for Comfort" are
>the only ones that spring to mind.  Most of Happy's music, ties into this
>sort of thing, in one way or another.	Looking just at side 1 of Volume I,
>the songs that deal with these internal demons, in one way or another, are:
>"Rainkeeper," "Oh the Drears," "He's Alive," "Possessed," "I'll Let You Go,"
>"Number One," and, to a lesser extent, "Case of Glass."

I agree. Happy's music does deal compellingly with the turmoil of the
mind. I still don't think of her music as filled with "horror", though.
Look at a song like "Moonbeam Friends" - I kept expecting Bambi's mother
to be cavorting outside Happy's window. Also, "I'm Not Awake, I'm Not
Asleep" seems a rather serene and peaceful song to me. Your mileage
may vary.

I simple think that neuroses can be artistically represented better than
with a leering demon - look at Edvard Munch's "The Scream". It's not
so heavy-handed.

>I'd even go so far as to say that the cover art is justified solely by the
>song "I'll Let You Go."  "For the pain will come and eat away at my soul."
>The monster on the cover is the pain.

I don't think the cover art is justified, but that is just MHO. I think
your interpretation of "I'll Let You Go" is a good one. Yeah, the monster
on the cover does look like it might include souls on its brunch menu.

>>I ended up listening to _Rhodes Vol 1_ *five* times last night. I cannot
>>remember replaying an album so many times the first day I had it.

>I know the feeling.  I didn't think to make dubs of the tapes when I first
>got them, and now it's too late--I'll have to order another set fairly soon.
>Oops.	Scary thing is that, having had the tapes for close to 5 months, it's
>still not uncommon for me to put on Volume II or Rearmament, and listen
>3 or 4 times in a row.  They never seem to get old...just more powerful.

Absolutely. I won't say how many times I played the tape this weekend,
suffice to say it was a veritable "Happyfest" at the Abbott household.

>Jeff--I've e-mailed you a copy of the Volume I lyrics as far as we know
>them.	Enjoy.

Thanks again, and I have enjoyed them. I appreciate Happy's music more
now that some of the harder-to-follow passages have been deciphered.

Still encouraging those of you who haven't given Happy a chance. . .
please do. Listen to Vickie, Jeff Burka, Kristin Hargie, anyone
else who's posted about Happy. She is really a great talent, and
if you don't give a try, you'll never know. It's worth the investment.
Just start with one tape, or the CD. Decide for yourself. But please,
give her and her music a chance. I don't think you'll regret it.

Jeff
--
Jeff Abbott	Texas Instruments, Inc. 512-250-4323
		Internet		Jeff.Abbott@hub.dsg.ti.com