Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

SUSPENDED IN GAFFA! II

From: rhill@pnet01.cts.com (Ronald Hill)
Date: Mon, 13 May 91 03:08:26 PDT
Subject: SUSPENDED IN GAFFA! II

I have noticed that several of my private messages have made it here publicly,
sorry!!

        Here are some more gaffa quotes.  If anybody (like Jeffery Burka!) has
any more info on those last gaffa quotes, or can tell me where I can get the
whole interview, let me know!  Aside from the Russel Harty "interview", its
the only interview I know of that I don't seem to have access to in ANY form
(computer, printed, tape) so I would most like to get it.
        Also I am still looking for typed-in ARLY interviews with Kate.  I may
have to type some in myself :-(

SUSPENDED IN GAFFA
------------------
     Whenever I've sung this song I've hoped that my breath would
hold out for the first few phrases, as there is no gap to breathe in.
     When I wrote this track the words came at the same time, and this is one
of the few songs where the lyrics were complete at such an early stage. The
idea of the song is that of being given a glimpse of "God"--something that we
dearly want--but being told that unless we work for it, we will never see it
again, and even then, we might not be worthy of it. Of course, everybody wants
the reward without the toil, so people try to find a way out of the hard work,
still hoping to claim the prize, but such is not
the case. The choruses are meant to express the feeling of
entering timelessness as you become ready for the experience, but
only when you are ready.  (1982, KBC 12)

     What is Gaffa? What does Suspended in Gaffa mean?
     "'Gaffa" is Gaffa Tape. It is thick industrial tape, mainly used for
taping down and tidying up the millions of leads, and particularly useful in
concert situations. Suspended in Gaffa is trying to simulate being trapped in
a kind of web: everything is in slow motion, and the person feels like they're
tied up. They can't move." defeat  (1984, KBC 16)

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!rhill
ARPA: crash!pnet01!rhill@nosc.mil
INET: rhill@pnet01.cts.com