Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Modems

From: nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk
Date: Tue, 7 May 91 9:59:17 GMT-0:00
Subject: Modems

>From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
>Someone mentioned the feasibility of Homeground access to
>Love-Hounds now that they're computerized.  If the U.K. computer
>market is anything like in the U.S., modems are extremely cheap and
>surely one our U.K. Love-Hounds has the clout to finagle a news or
>mail account.  I'm sure they'd find themselves out of disk space
>quite quickly given access to the Love-Hounds archives.

A good error-correcting modem costs several hundred pounds (3-500)
which does not count as cheap in UK terms (unless the Homeground crew
are particularly well-off). Access to a computer with Net access via
dial-up is probably stymied by security worries at the host site.
The Univ. of Kent would be a convenient place for them to try and access
if someone there were willing to set them up with an account. However, most
Universities are plagued by hackers and might not see the urgent need to
promote the distribution of Kate Bush discussions by setting up external
users :-(  Of course there may well be some sites who would take paying users
but that adds further to the cost.

The new (June) issue of Q is out complete with free CD-size booklet of
Q sleevenotes for Hounds of Love - 4 pages, one of which is the front cover
photo. Andy Semple has kindly volunteered to type them in - so watch
this space.

Neil

--
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk