Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Van Dyke parks, again

From: barger@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Jorn Barger)
Date: Mon, 6 May 91 09:37:47 CDT
Subject: Van Dyke parks, again

Sorry this personal to fingerle@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL bounced, so here's for
all:
>As I guess you know, VDP worked with Brian Wilson during the 1966-7
>period

i fear i didn't...  i know he was in altman's 'popeye' and played a lawyer
somewhere else recently-- Twin Peaks?  he's done lots more producing than
recording.

>I know nothing of him beyond the BB connection.  How many lps did he
>put out?
>When did they come out?  What do they sound like?  Any info you might
>have
>would be appreciated.

'song cycle' was his first, 1968, magical warm childlike playful
clockwork-music box-sound effects record- sgt peppers- brilliantly
produced.  the lyrics are nice stream of consciousness punning nonsense.  i
know it is out on cd.

the only other i've heard is his most recent 'tokyo rose' (on cassette)
which less than one complete listening did less than nothing for me.
i'm told his 'jump'
musical about uncle remus was also charming, by someone who misjudges my
taste most of the time.  i'm trying to track it down.

>Squeeze

yes, them.  yes, warm and happy-feeling. (If I, if I, if I, didn't,
didn't...)

To repeat my offer: VDP's "Song Cycle" CD which I love for $6 ppd (my
cost).

Place orders by email to guarantee stock, send checks to:
Jorn Barger, POB 81988, Chicago IL 60681-0988. ("Land o' C&V")