Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Cloudbusting

From: rhill@pnet01.cts.com (Ronald Hill)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 91 01:22:04 PDT
Subject: Cloudbusting

AHEM.  I have been working on a project now for some time and have been
waiting until I get past the "point of no return" to announce it here and
since I passed that about a month ago and am now almost finished I might as
well announce it!
        I am working on an electronic "book" called "Cloudbusting - Kate Bush
In Her Own Words".  This is a strictly not-for-profit venture that will be
available, depending on how you get it, either free or for a slight "copying
charge".  It is a complition of virtually every quote from Kate arranged by
Song, Story, and Subject order.  NO interpectations, reviews, opinions, etc,
will be included.  The idea is to let Kate's words speak for themselves, and
beleive me, they really do!!  It's quite startling to see so much "pure Kate"
without all the cruft.
        The full disk versions (2 disks actually) will be include integrated
graphics and sampled sound on all three versions: AMIGA, IBM, and MAC (yes,
even the IBM versions will have sampled sound, for ALL IBMS).  Since the total
size will actually take up THREE Three 1/2 inch disks, I am using compressions
teniques for all three computers.
        The source files for most of Cloudbusting were Andrew Marvick and
co.'s The Garden, which is Andrew's book of REPRINTS of articles/interviews
with Kate and several ORIGINAL files, including a complete chronology, ALL the
lyrics to ALL of Kate's songs, and several other goodies.  The files were
taken from an obscure IBM typesetting program and translated to straight ascii
by myself.  The ORIGINAL files will be included complete (hopefully, if
there's room), with the disk versions of Cloudbusting.

        The idea is that when you select an album, a picture simular to the
picture of Kate from the album will be displayed along side a listing of the
songs from that album.  While (or before on the IBM version) this is being
displayed a 5-10 second sample of Kate's music will be played.  THen you will
be brought into the text itself.  There will also be photo colloches and music
for the "Story" and "Subject" sections.  I had intended to use the actuall
picture of Kate from the album covers, but after I scanned em all in I decided
(TOO LATE!) that it would be more interesting to use some of the "alternative"
shots from the same photo sessions, as these are much rarer.  Unfortunately I
only have limited access to the supurb scanner my friend has so the first full
disk version will probably only have "alternative" shots on the Kick Inside,
Lionheart, Never for Ever, and the pixie dust "sensual world".  I might be
able to scan in one or two more, but as I don't even have alternative shots
for all the albums, this will be doublely difficult!
        I pretty much have everything set up to translate the photos from my
AMIGA to IBM GIF, and B&W MAC formats, and the SOUND to MAC and IBM format.
The only real remaining problem is that I cannot directly read/write MAC disks
like I can IBM.  I can actually RUN mac programs using my AMIGA AMAX emulator,
but I don't have an MAC drive with it so I may not be able to make copies of
this, though I will be able to upload em.  I also don't, (YET) have HYPERCARD
or the knowledge to actually integrate everything on the MAC so the files may
just sit there on the disk in the first version.  If anybody would like to
help make and or copy a full MAC version, epecially if you have the AMIGA AMAX
emulator with drive, send me a message.
        The first version of Cloudbusting will be TEXT only and will be posted
as seperate messages here in about two/three weeks.  Since I have been advised
by the moderator to only send about 20-25k at a time this will take more than
a month!  (I expect the text files, after editting,  to be at least 600k
possibly more than a meg.).  If anybody catches ANY errors let me know!!!! By
the time I get the whole thing sent I should have the full disk versions done.
 These I will be sending to the Moderator to be posted and also full versions
will appear on The Big Sky BBS and possibly, GENIE, and other commercial
services.  Also I will be sending copies to the people who run various fan
club/magazines.  I will also be making an offer (UT-OH!!) to copy it in IBM 3
1/2 inch or AMIGA format for about 5 or 6 bucks to cover the disks, mailing,
bumb disks, overseas, etc.  I don't mind making a zillion copies if I have to,
as I think it is somthing most people will want, but I would appreciate it if
you know people who have the same computer type as you if you could
co-ordinate between yourselves to just get one copy and make copies for each
other.  This will save you money and me time.  I will NOT generally be making
PRINTED copies so if you know non-computer Kate fans, grank up those printers
for a major dump!  Also any help in getting it to other networks and to any
other form would be appeciated!!! I think it will make a great "add" for the
love-hounds.

        To our ENGLISH love-hounds: I have noticed several "errors?" in Kate's
articles where an "s" is substituted for a "z", like cosy for cozy, or realise
for realize.  These words are not recognized on my spelling checker or in my
dictionary and was wondering if they are "british" spellings?  I would just
ingnore them or add them to my spelling checker's dictionary, but I mis-spell
those words to and don't want my checker programed wrong!  I must already have
confused it will all those "Kate" words :_)

        Also could somebody PLEASE send me a transcript of the 1990 Kate Bush
Convention and could somebody please post the quote from Kate at the 1991
American Kate Bush Convention (is that the right thing to call it?).

     As a taster/teaser here are some of Kate's comments about various
subject's that have come up lately.  I hope you enjoy them:

ON LIONHEART:
-------------
     Lionheart: "Looking back, I don't really think that Lionheart actually
expressed the true phase I was in at the time, whereas all the others have.
While the first LP consisted of material I'd written up to that point, I found
that the time pressures prevented me from writing more fresh material for the
second one.
     "In fact, I only wrote three new songs-- Symphony in Blue, Fullhouse and
Coffee Homeground-- and if you know that, then you can tell the difference in
style. Basically, this album could have been a lot better."

ON GODLINESS:
-------------
     "I know I'm not perfect, and it's that imperfection that keeps me wanting
to do more. I think all my paranoias, all my doubts, all my vulnerabilities
are what I depend on to keep my songs happening."
     And make no mistake--her songs are her life.
      "One of the band told me last night/That music is all he's
got in his life" (Blow Away from the new LP, Never For Ever).
      Is that really you, using the third person as a slender disguise?
     "Yeah. Well done. It is. All we ever look for--" (another title, as it
happens) "--is God--in inverted commas--inasmuch as it's something you believe
in. Belief is motivation, and without that you don't do anything. I mean, if
your 'God' is to have a husband and children, and you actually fulfill
that...Many people don't see the thing they love and believe in as 'God'. Most
of us aren't happy, really, and it's only because our God isn't complete."
     And work is your God?
     "It is, really, yes, as everything in my life goes into
my music. Everything that happens to me affects me, and it comes
out in my music. If I did become perfect, and was no longer
vulnerable, perhaps I wouldn't get the same shocks of emotion
that make me want to write."  (1981, RM)

ON MUSICAL SNOBBERY:
--------------------
     An extract from Song to be Sung of a Summer Night by Delius. Kate, we
know that, uh, many devotees of a particular form of music are intolerant of
others. In the early days of rock'n'roll, for example, classical music-buffs
would condemn rock. And unfortunately some rock fans are intolerant of
classical music. Have any of your fans questioned the fact that you wrote a
track about Delius?
     "Not one. Um, I think the thing about music is that it isn't something
that should be labeled; and I think it's the human element that labels it.
Music, um, should be all-embracing. There should be no snobbery, because music
is one entity. It's not lots of different things. But no, I've not found that
from any of my fans, I think they're all extremely openminded people who
appreciate music as one thing. Not, uh, sectionalised devotees, yeah."

GET OUT OF MY HOUSE
-------------------
    One new song on her next album has Kate talking about herself and her new
awareness of life, its goals and inevitable pressures. "The song is called Get
Out of My House," she says, "and it's all about the human as a house. The idea
is that as more experiences actually get to you, you start learning how to
defend yourself from them. The human can be seen as a house where you start
putting up shutters at the windows and locking the doors--not letting in
certain things. I think a lot of people are like this--they don't hear what
they don't want to hear,
don't see what they don't want to see. It is like a house, where the windows
are the eyes and the ears, and you don't let people in. That's sad because as
they grow older people should open up more. But they do the opposite because,
I suppose, they do get bruised and cluttered. Which brings me back to myself;
yes, I have had to decide what I will let in and what I'll have to exclude.
(1982, Company)

     The Shining is the only book I've read that has frightened me. While
reading it I swamped around in its snowy imagery and avoided visiting certain
floors of the big, cold hotel, empty for the winter.
As in Alien, the central characters are isolated, miles (or light years) away
from anyone or anything, but there is something in the place with them.
They're not sure what, but it isn't very nice.
     The setting for this song continues the theme--the house which is
really a human being, has been shut up--locked and bolted, to stop any outside
forces from entering. The person has been hurt and has decided to keep
everybody out. They plant a "concierge" at the front door to stop any
determined callers from passing, but the thing has got into the house
upstairs. It's descending in the lift, and now it approaches the door of the
room that you're hiding in. You're cornered, there's no way out, so you turn
into a bird and fly away, but the thing changes shape, too. You change, it
changes; you can't escape, so you turn around and face it, scare it away.

     "Hee Haw"
     "Hee Haw"
     "Hee Haw"  (1982, KBC 12)

THE LRYICS TO THIS WOMANS WORK:

 Pray God you can cope.
 I stand outside this woman's work,
 This woman's world.
 Ooh, it's hard on the man,
 Now his part is over.
 Now starts the craft of the father.

      I know you have a little life in you yet.
      I know you have a lot of strength left.
      I know you have a little life in you yet.
      I know you have a lot of strength left.

           I should be crying, but I just can't let it show.
           I should be hoping, but I can't stop thinking

           Of all the things I should've said,
           That I never said.
           All the things we should've done,
           That we never did.
           All the things I should've given,
           But I didn't.

           Oh, darling, make it go,
           Make it go away.

 Give me these moments back.
 Give them back to me.
 Give me that little kiss.
 Give me your hand.

      (I know you have a little life in you yet.
      I know you have a lot of strength left.
      I know you have a little life in you yet.
      I know you have a lot of strength left.)

           I should be crying, but I just can't let it show.
           I should be hoping, but I can't stop thinking

           Of all the things we should've said,
           That were never said.
           All the things we should've done,
           That we never did.
           All the things that you needed from me.
           All the things that you wanted for me.
           All the things that I should've given,
           But I didn't.

           Oh, darling, make it go away.
           Just make it go away now.

[*--'You'll have to wait in here.'  This is just a guess.
A few spoken words are audible here, possibly originating from
another part of the film's dialogue and re-used by Kate in her
recording.]

Note that these are by no means the "complete" quotes under these sections as
I am not done yet and also haven't included all the quotes already in.  Also
note that in the final versions, the questions will be edited more and
CAPITALIZED to set them off from Kate's quotes.

Ron "BOY DO I TALK ALOT, WHEN I DO!" Hill

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!rhill
ARPA: crash!pnet01!rhill@nosc.mil
INET: rhill@pnet01.cts.com