Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

GLC and Q

From: nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 18:19:03 GMT-0:00
Subject: GLC and Q

>From: Jeff Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
>Subject: Re: GLC
>There is a BBC series, whose title I don't quite recall, but is something
>like "The Comic Strip Presents."

I believe that was the correct title. The series originated on Channel 4,
but the Kate episodes were part of a series of 6 programmes on BBC 2.

>there were two Comic Strips that featured KaTe in some way.  The first was
>"G.L.C." (greater london council), which was a spoof of London politics
>done in the manner of a spaghetti western.  There was a real Ken who was
>a leader of the real-life GLC (can't remember his last name).

Ken Livingstone - former Labour leader of the G.L.C. and now Labour M.P.
for Brent (Brent North if I remember correctly). The G.L.C. was disbanded
by the Tory Government because Maggie object to their policies. A referendum
carried out by the G.L.C. showed a clear majority of Londoners in favour
of retaining the Council.

The scenario of the show was the story of Ken Livingstone's rise to
leadership of the G.L.C. and his struggle with Mrs Thatcher (the Ice Maiden)
with just a slight distortion of the truth in true Hollywood style.
Ken with the help of Joan Ruddock, Tony Benn and later Prince Charles
replaces Horace Cutler as leader of the G.L.C. by popular acclaim (Horace
beaten into third place by Screaming Lord Sutch). The Ice Maiden plots
his downfall and bans the G.L.C. leading to an armed battle between Ken
and his followers with the army. Prince Charles persuades the army to lay
down their arms only for the Ice Maiden to persoanlly join the attack.
Slain by a flagpole heaved by Ken, she is revealed to have been possessed
by an alien force.

>From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)
>Subject: misc.
>re the Q magazine "sleevenotes" -- Q arrives irregularly to my newstand --
>i never did find the picture of the KTBush Band, and they finally asked
>me to stop scanning the issues cover to cover in the store... SO, if you
>all across the atlantic would kindly include cover dates when referring
>to issues... thanks!

The issue you will want (i.e. with the HOL sleeve notes)  will be
June 1991, No. 57. It is on sale in the UK from May 4th.

Be seing you,
	Neil

--
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk