Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Once more into the breach

From: ALDSTF10@OUACCVMB.BITNET
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 91 12:42:32 EST
Subject: Once more into the breach
Comment: CROSSNET mail via SMTP@INTERBIT

Date: 8 April 1991, 12:34:36 EST
From: ALDSTF10 at OUACCVMB
To:   LOVE-HOUNDS@EDDIE.MIT.EDU at EDU

A few concerns:
1) Bruce Dickinson, not Dickenson ("The Air-raid siren" to you and me)
focused, Steve VanDevender replies:
>Simple Music may have its virtues, but I'd rather listen to a Bach Fugue
>than a Phillip Glass piece.
So would I, Steve old chum, but for the same reasons I mentioned earlier. I thi
nk Bach's music is masterful because it obeys beautiful and structured forms wi
th almost mathematical precision, but without sounding soulless. I happen to th
ink Phillip Glass is a vapid twit. His music isn't necessarily simple; I would
call it random, a resort to varied noises and unfocused musical ideas simply fo
r the avante-gardedness (??!) of it all.  Some Kate songs strike me as resortin
g to that type of thing, almost as if just to fill up space, and a person with
her talent doesn't have to resort to that.