Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Station IDs and Question about Bay Area Radio

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward J. Suranyi)
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 91 14:49:52 PDT
Subject: Station IDs and Question about Bay Area Radio
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>That's amazing.  KITS in San Francisco can't get a station ID from Kate
>but tiny little WWSU here in Dayton can.

>Greg Blouch

I have a theory about this.  My conjecture is that all those stations
that have Kate IDs got them around the time of "Running Up That Hill".
At that time KITS had a completely different format, so naturally
they didn't get an ID.  Now it's too late.  Any counter-examples?

That brings me to my question about Bay Area radio, for all of you
who lived here in the Bay Area in the fall of 1985, as I did.  At
the time I was listening mostly to Top 40 stations on the radio.
Yet I NEVER heard RUTH, even when it was a top 40 hit.  In fact,
I didn't realize Kate had a single/album out for several months!
(At that time I didn't know a single other Kate fan, so there was no
place I could turn to for information.)

I assume it was played by college stations, but I didn't know about any
college stations then.  So my question is:  Did any commercial radio
stations in the Bay Area play RUTH back then?  If yes, then which?
One of the things I greatly regret is that I, a huge Kate fan,
completely missed the one time when she obtained a large American
audience.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov