Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Unsatisfied?

From: graham@ug.cs.dal.ca (Michael Graham)
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 1991 18:26:31 -0400
Subject: Re: Unsatisfied?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cs.dal.ca (USENET News)

In article <9104061854.AA04565@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> ALDSTF10@OUACCVMB.BITNET writes:

>OK, this is clearly gonna draw some fire, but anyway, here goes:
>Does anyone think that Ms. Bush sometimes overdoes it a bit? By that I mean
>a)Overorchestrates the Backgrounds
>b)Uses vocal "tricks" which get annoying in quantity
>Most people on this list seem to love the dreaming, but whatever I have heard f
>rom the album doesn't strike me as much as Side one of HoL. It sounds a bit clu
>ttered and unfocused. There are other songs on her assorted albums which strike
> me the same way, in that all the "extra" stuff going on (although interesting
>enough) ends up detracting from the thrust of the song,from the total effect it
> potentially could have.
>I can hear the cries of "closeminded traditionalist" and "musical conservative"
> already; but seriously, do other people have any songs which have particularly
> struck them as annoying or such. (And I don't mean Lionheart, people!!!).
>P.S. A few days ago, some dude quoted Bruce Dickinson in his sig. Good deal! I
>didn't figure those types to be on this list.

Yeah that was me. I IS possible to like Iron Maiden and (love) Kate! hmmm...
some of the songs on Lionheart seem to be over-produced, but I love the
"simple" songs on the album (her and piano).
I don't think she overdoes anything. I don't know what "vocal tricks" you
mean.
Hounds of Love was her most commercially accepted work. It was quite
different from anything she'd done before. The songs are great. The Dreaming
is a completely different beast, but the songs are just as good (if not
better IMHO). "Cluttered and unfocused"? Just like dreams? I wish I knew the
meaning behind many of the songs on the album. I don't see much of a "The
Shining" conection...unless the book was completely different from the movie.
GOoMH - if it was based on the shining it should have been called "Let Me Out
of This House"!  :)  This album may arguably be unfocused as a whole, but not
as the sum of its parts.

mike

--
Michael Graham         |  "The only thing I know about backmasking is that
graham@ug.cs.dal.ca    |   when you play your records backwards it f*cks