Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

_Get Out Of My House_

From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 91 16:41:28 EST
Subject: _Get Out Of My House_
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Kate has said that _Get Out Of My House_ was inspired by _The Shining_,
the book specifically.

In Doug's interview she says...

| And it's very much a play on a traditional song called "The
| Two Magicians" about someone who's trying to escape someone,
| and they keep changing their form in order to escape them.
| But the other thing keeps changing its form.  And that's
| actually what the whole song is about -- someone who is running
| away from something they don't want to face, but wherever they
| go, the thing will follow them.  Basically, you can't run away
| from things -- you've got to confront things.  And it's using
| the person as the imagery of a house, where they won't let
| anyone in, they lock all the doors and windows, and put a guard
| on the front door.  But I think the essence of the song is about
| someone trying to run away from things they don't like and not
| being able to escape -- because you can't.

It seems to me that _exactly_ what is being run from isn't really
important, or at least Kate doesn't say that it is.

I tend to wonder about the inclusion of this and another song pondering
the idea of locking things or keeping them open on _The Dreaming_
considering the way Kate's dealings with the public have changed over
the years.  But then, that gets falls into the "this must be auto-
biographical" trap that awaits at our every turn.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com