Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

favorites / Lionheart / Laurie Anderson

From: kk4fs!deadog@crdgw1.ge.com (Dead Dog)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 91 21:03:11 EST
Subject: favorites / Lionheart / Laurie Anderson
Comments: Validated

Sorry if this is late (I know it will be), but I just got back from spring
break and have spent the last couple of days catching up on gaffa and
reading a book called "The Forge of God" by Greg Bear (it's great, read
it!).  So here are my answers to the informal poll...

Best KT album: The Ninth Wave
Best KT song: Houdini ... but almost every song mentioned in this spot is
one of my favorites -- in fact, almost all of Kate's songs are among my
favorites!
Worst KT album: Never For Ever (but it's all relative I guess -- that's
still one of the better albums in my collection)
Worst album by anyone: In the Beginning, by Genesis.  I really like old
Genesis stuff, and Trespass was their best, but this album was AWFUL.
Favorite video: Cloud busting, maybe tied with Wuthering Heights
Favorite KT B-side: Burning Bridge (something about the spirit of this song,
I guess I just identify with)
Album to frighten neighbors: Yes, "Tales From Topographic Oceans" -- what
can I say, my neighbors are easily frightened

If I had to pick a second best album, though, The Dreaming and Lionheart
would be there.  Both TD and TNW are great.  Why do I like Lionheart?  Well,
it's just the mood I guess, as someone else said.  "Wow" I consider to be a
weak point, but I really like "Full House", "In Search of Peter Pan",
"Coffee Homeground", "Hammer Horror", etc, etc, etc...  The album has a kind
of overall sadness that really attracts me.

How did I get introduced to Kate Bush?  It was very weird, as happens most
of the time...  I rented "CV" from a video store a few years ago, to see the
video for "Shock the Monkey" (Peter Gabriel song) since that video had been
one of my favorites from childhood.  In the process, I really liked most of
the other videos on the tape, and proceeded to buy "So".  I especially liked
"Don't Give Up", maybe because it was on the videotape TWICE! (don't ask me
why).  Anyway, I also used to watch this show in MTV called "Now Hear This".
It was a show where they played newly released videos.  One day they opened
up the show with "a new world premiere (sp?) video by Kate Bush".  My mind
clicked into gear, and I remembered that she was the one who did the chorus
in "Don't Give Up".  So I recorded the video.  I thought it was one of the
strangest videos I'd ever seen, and I didn't know what to make of it.  But
I kept watching it cos something about it was almost magical.  Overnight I
became almost rabid about Kate Bush.  "Love and Anger" seemed to be almost
talking to me, when I finally listened to the words.  "Just remember to
reach out and touch the past and the future."  Cool!  I promptly bought the
album, and liked it tremendously.  I was in such a state at this time that I
convinced a friend to also buy the album.  He soon went out and bought
"Hounds of Love" and "The Kick Inside".  Then I met Slender Fungus at a D&D
meet by jumping up and proclaiming that everyone in the room would have to
listen to this new tape I got, called The Sensual World.  Slender Fungus let
me hear The Whole Story, and I was convinced I would get the rest.  From
this point on, I'm probably treading on part of his story, but I'll press
on.  That Christmas, he got The Dreaming and I got Never For Ever.  I ended
up buying HoL and TKI from my other friend becos he was moving into other
styles of music and thought TKI was too "squeaky".  (I still grit my teeth
when I think of that.)  Only recently did Slender Fungus buy Lionheart and
let me copy it, cos we were afraid it wouldn't be worth having, but our Kate
cravings finally forced us to get it, and I'm sorry we didn't get it
earlier.  Oh yeah, and I got This Woman's Work for Christmas last year
(wow!).

Re the Laurie Anderson conference:  This may sound weird, but I'm against
it.  We are only getting gaffa out of the kindness of our sysop's heart, and
there's no way we could get both gaffa and a Laurie Anderson zone
(rec.music.smokerings ? :-] ).  [By the way, Liberty, thanks again for the
gaffa sub, if you're reading this!]

This post was WAY too long...
But PS, I got a Cocteau Twins shirt last week!!

"When you left, the door was slamming...  You      |   :Dead Dog (Robey)
paused in the doorway as though a thought stole    | sixhub!kk4fs!deadog
you away.  I watched the world pull you away." -KT |