Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

King's X info for the guy who was asking

From: ALDSTF10@OUACCVMB.BITNET
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 13:27:06 EST
Subject: King's X info for the guy who was asking
Comment: CROSSNET mail via SMTP@INTERBIT

Date: 28 March 1991, 13:13:09 EST
From: ALDSTF10 at OUACCVMB
To:   LOVE-HOUNDS@EDDIE.MIT.EDU at EDU

Hmmmmm....This may be way late, but some homeboy on this network asked a couple
 of days ago if anyone knew anything about King's X (Obsessed Kate Fans, go on
to the next posting).  Apparently, he had seen the "It's Love" video on MTv, an
d liked it; described it as "Somewhat Proggy"; I'm not sure if he meant progres
sive in the 80's sense or Progressive in the 70's art rock/RUSHGenesisPinkFloyd
ELPYesetc sense.
   Anyway guy, if you're still curious, the 2nd definition would be more accura
te, I believe.  King's X is quite a good group; they have a subtle Christian be
nt, which is couched in appropriate metaphors in most of their songs and takes
a bit of figuring out.  They have three albums out: "Out of the Silent Planet"
(1988),"Gretchen goes to Nebraska"(1989) and "Faith,Hope,Love"(1990).  OSP is t
he hardest rocking; they utilize an almost thrashy style (dense, muscular riffs
, a lot of them in E minor) but play it much more slowly than the typical 'bang
ers, so the effect is more like 70's hard rock riffs. GGN is the most versatile
; the band indulges in a wide variety of styles, and seems to have perfected th
e ability to combine angelic  3-part harmonies with cruncy background riff-ola.
FHL is kind of a synthesis of the 1st two albums.  I would say if you are into
Kate Bush, you would probably enjoy GGN the most, while those Megadeth fans I k
now are more into OSP. The band is a power trio, consisting of Doug Pinnick (12
-string bass - good christ!), Ty Tabor (Guitars) and Jerry Gaskill (Drums). If
you need any more info, whoever you are, send me E-mail on Bitnet.
Metallica to Cover "Violin" at quadruple Speed?Wait til the new album comes out