Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Bill Wisner <wisner@ims.alaska.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 12:46:29 -0900

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: wisner@ims.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner)
Subject: Re: FTP correction
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1991 21:46:20 GMT

>	   Second, when you get the  HAYES.IMS.ALASKA.EDU> prompt, enter  USER
>ANONYMOUS, not just ANONYMOUS.

This is version specific.  Most versions of FTP (i.e., those based
upon the UNIX implementation) automatically prompt for a username
after the connection is established.  The Multinet VMS version
doesn't.

>	  One suggestion I would add concerning his properly emphasized reminder
>to make it a BINARY transfer:  for safety, you can set FTP in binary mode from
>the start by invoking it with that switch, i. e. enter FTP /BINARY.

This also is version specific.  Most versions don't have a command
line switch that turns on binary mode; usually, you must type "binary"
at the FTP prompt.

Yours for nonstandard software,

Bill Wisner <wisner@ims.alaska.edu> Gryphon Gang Fairbanks AK 99775
And we pause for the jets.