Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

First Encounter

From: apple.com!well!rickt (Rick Thompson)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 91 20:52:27 pst
Subject: First Encounter

    This is my first attempt at a post here, so please accept my
 apologies in advance if I've somehow fouled it up so that it's
 landed somewhere it shouldn't have, or if this is the second time
 you've had to see it, or who knows what else. I already had the
 story typed up, so I just couldn't resist posting it, especially
 when IED started urging silent people to speak up.
    My first encounter with Kate was late one Sunday night in, oh, I
 guess early 1979. I was in college at the time, busily failing at a
 math major. (Yes, yes, I eventually graduated - _not_ in
 mathematics.) Like most late weekend nights, I was, ahem, somewhat
 detached from reality, and I was sitting around with a friend
 drinking beer in a ratty apartment that more or less defined "cheap
 student housing." We were half watching some sort of video show. (In
 1978-79? I wonder what it was? Don Kirshner, maybe?)
    I slowly became aware that there was something different about
 whatever was on the TV. The conversation stopped as I started to
 stare at the video for "Wuthering Heights." I was absolutely
 transfixed. (Almost, to borrow a phrase, like a victim charmed by a
 cobra.) As the video ended, I looked over to my friend, my mouth
 hanging open.
    "Was that..." I trailed off. I was not entirely sure that I
 hadn't imagined a large part of it. It seemed that I must have, but
 surely I wasn't _that_ detached from reality.
    "She was --" He shook his head. "A _ghost_? Wasn't she?" he
 asked, looking sort of shell-shocked.
    "Yeah," I answered. "But did she... Look, who _was_ that? Did you
 get her name?"
    "Kate something. From England."
    I went out the next day and looked all over town until I finally
 found a record store clerk who could hear "Kate something. From
 England." and hand me a copy of _The Kick Inside_. It's worn out,
 now, full of scratches and pops and really can't be listened to, but
 it's one of the few pieces of vinyl that I haven't tossed out when I
 got the CD.
    Of course, while that was a few years ago, it's only been a few
 months since I ran into Richard Caldwell over on GEnie, and found
 out that yes, there really were people who didn't ask "You've got
 all these albums, who is this Kate Bush person?" I'm still sort of
 in (pleasant) culture shock.

   | rickt@well.sf.ca.us         | "And I don't know when          |
   | J. R. Thompson (Rick)       |  But just saying it could       |
   | Upstate NY                  |         even make it happen..." |