Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Discovery of Kate

From: brianb@natinst.com (Brian Bloom)
Date: 22 Mar 91 22:18:19 GMT
Subject: Discovery of Kate
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Howdy to netland!
Well, the theme seems to be how we discovered Kate's music.  Here's my
$.02 worth.

I happen to like Pink Floyd quite a bit, and of course, David Gilmour's
guitar work.  I was driving around Austin one day listening to my radio
when the DJ announced a song that had David Gilmour doing guitars.  So I
listened carefully to the song, which was Rocket's Tail from The Sensual
World.  I loved it immmediately (I am quite fried on mainstream pop40)
and bought the album.  I know many of you seem to, shall we say, hold a
lower opinion of this album compared to her others.  I happen to like it
a lot.  I like the soothing lush style of it.  I also like music like
Enya and Hex which has the same general effect.

Anyway, now that I was hooked, I decided to check out her other works.  I
bought The Dreaming and was a little surprised at the different sound.  It
grew on me quickly (I LOVE Suspended in Gaffa!) and I'm now in the process
of expanding my collection.  I have Hounds of Love on cassette but had never
heard of Ninth Wave until I ran across this group last week.  I think that'll
be my next addition.
(Of course, any advice wouldn't hurt either)
(And, yes, I have a HUGE Kate Bush poster on my wall)

Brian Bloom
brianb@natinst.com                  ( nope, no .sig here!)