Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Into The Fray

From: hanson@hpcc01.corp.hp.com (Kent Hanson)
Date: 16 Mar 91 22:07:29 GMT
Subject: Into The Fray
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Having willingly fallen under the unfortunately but gratefully unique
positive influence of Kate (an oasis in the desert) some time ago, and
having also fortuitously discovered the "gaffa" forum, I am now
making an analogously conscious decision to align myself with the
invisible chorus of this wonderful woman's advocates.

It may be superfluous to say so, but what first and forever reached me
was her MUSIC (and all that implies).  I am a musician and to tell the
truth I'd like to establish and perpetuate more dialogues regarding her
music than I have witnessed so far.  I am currently preparing several
essays regarding the purely musical aspects of this Woman's work, and
I am confident that any objective observations will in no way mitigate
the unbounded spiritual/emotional response to her which has meant so
much to me.

Moreover, I can announce that Kate's magic has at least in one instance
crossed into a new generation--my son is as intensely in tune with Kate
as I am (largely unsolicited) and it is indeed gratifying to know that
among those contributing to his development Kate will be playing such a
large role.

I have the boxed set (CDs) as well as individual copies of each album.
I have four interview picture discs (two each of volumes 1 and 2) produced
by the English "baktabak" company.  By the way, I was not aware that both
volumes included the same interview (discussing The Dreaming).  I have
the "Visual Documentary" and also the "With Love" chronicle of articles
through about 1985.  I also have some facsimiles taken from the cover of
"The Secret History..."  and the quest for anything else which can bring
me closer in continues.

The list of her songs which are my "favorites" is ludicrously long,
because of her consistent level of compositional competence.  In terms
of albums (and it is so rewarding to have an audial record of her
development, the progress from incisive spark to raging conflagration,
analogous to and reminiscent of J.S. Bach's development from his
concerto days to the unscalable heights of the St. Matthew Passion),
I (and my son) consistently come back to The Dreaming as our primary
choice.  Nevertheless, The Sensual World is right there with The
Dreaming on my "list"; its incredible subtleties of production and
individual note-choice (not to mention how it hangs together as a unit
and as a journey into places from which it is difficult to return
readily) fills me with eager anticipation for her future gifts.

The one frustrating thing I find with Kate is that now, having been
irretrievably wed both to her music and to her heart, I am having
seemingly insurmountable difficulties settling for anything less than
the standard she has established for me in terms of the kind of woman
I want to hook up with (I am currently unmarried).  Perhaps it is
unreasonable to expect to meet goddesses in the trenches of everyday
life, but I won't compromise, and meanwhile I remain grateful for
her, and that I have been fortunate enough to have met her, even at
such a distance.

Until the next time...

Kent Hanson
Hewlett-Packard Company (Corporate Headquarters, Palo Alto, California)