Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sparking Thought

From: py64725@tut.fi (Yli-Krekola Perttu Jaakko)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 21:41:28 GMT
Subject: Sparking Thought
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@funet.fi (#Kotilo NEWS system )

Today I got a booklet called "How to build a 40000 volt induction coil"
written by Walt Noon ($4.95, Lindsay Publications Inc). Fist half of the
booklet describes how to build the device and second half suggests some
experiments with it. I found this one quite interesting:

"Sparking Thought

   This experiment isn't very scientific, but I can't resist mentioning
it. It's also potentially very dangerous.
   In reading many books by celebrated inventors, I found that several
mention the inventors staring into spark generating machines of their
own design. Thomas Edison, it was said, would stare for hours into a
small black box that contained a spark. Kate Bush, a contemporary singer,
also has been said to stare into her own sparking device for inspirations
in her music.
   As you find the different arc patterns, colors and effects which are
possible from different electrode shapes and materials, you might also
enjoy constructing a sparking chamber of your own design. From the
pictures I have seen, these usually consist of a box, painted flat black,
with holes cut for viewing. The sparking device is either contained in
the box, or screw terminals are provided at the back for one to attach.
The box is usually hinged so that different gaps can be set for the
sparks inside.
   Try this experiment if you like, but I do NOT recommend it. Electric
sparks give off high intensity ultraviolet radiation, the same radiation
that will burn your retinas if you watch someone arc welding without
wearing a mask. Even low level ultraviolet radiation has been found to
cause cataracts. Early inventors didn't know better. But you've been
warned. Staring at an electric spark for extended periods is NOT
recommended."

Anyone know where this information of KaTe using such a dangerous
source of inspiration originate from?
Perttu Yli-Krekola
py64725@korppi.tut.fi                   "Whenever I look out french windows
ylikreko@tnclus.tele.nokia.fi               It's always snowing outside"