Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

sTuff

From: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 91 4:22:12 EST
Subject: sTuff
Sender: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu

after much waiting, i *finally* got a copy of the _passing through air_
cd today. i'm still a bit confused as to why the bootlegger would use
that title when a lp bootleg already uses that title (and, in fact, the
same cover - the "pillbox" hat photo), but i suppose that is his problem.
anyways, the packaging is again, quite nice: color photos all over the
jewel booklet (the interior shots are all from the tour of life) and the
back photo is one i haven't seen before: KaTe wearing a yellow blouse
with black stripes holding her hair up and looking, of all things, old.
someon already listed tehe tracks on this cd, but i'll summarize: it com-
pletes the cathy demos available on the _cathy's albums_ series (including
the kick inside demos which feature the KT bush band according to the
liner notes) and "another day" from the bbc special. my only complaint
is that it is so short: only 38 minutes or so. i owuld think that the
least he could do was include other stuff that is available and floating
around out there, but, again, i suppose you can't expect everything.

i know it's late, but here are some of my suggestions for the female singer
collection that i don't remember being mentioned:

anne richmond boston (ex of the swimming pool q's), suzy
callhan (devils weilding scimitars), hope sandoval (of mazzy star), kendra
smith (ex of opal), lisa gerrard (dead can dance), kelly something-i-for-
got (the jody grind), vanessa briscoe hay (pylon), andrea something-i-
don't-know (the darling buds), wendy wall, marti jones, lynn canfield (area),
tracey thorn (the marine girls, everything but the girl), april coombs
(arson garden), liz cox (christmas), anna domino, isabella antena, anna
boboubulla (spelled wrong, i know), betsy martin (caterwaul), christine
lavin, jennifer blowdryer, cindy lee berryhill, kristin hersh (throwing
muses), tina weymouth (talking heads, tom tom club), voice of the beehive,
transvision vamp, amiee (til tuesday), what's-her-name from the avengers,
lava hey, lava love, five guys named moe, donette thayer (hex, game theory),
the singer for beautiful pea gren boat, anna palm.

dave markfield sez:
>I just got my hands on Cathy's Album and Cathy's Album Too.

>I was wondering, perhaps someone knows (IED?, Ed?), why did most of these never
>make it to record.  I mean IMHO they are excellant songs and certainly nothing
>KaTe should feel ashamed of.

agreed, they are well-written songs, but with some 200 or so songs to
choose from for the first record, some had to be ignored. and then as
time went on and KaTe's interests changed, those older songs were left
behind for other projects.

deb wintorf sez:
> I would guess that this is the tune Kate (accompanied by Paddy and Jay?)
> sang as an introduction to Peter Gabriel's "Here Comes the Flood" on
> Kate's 1980 Christmas show.

yup. on the picture lp that has the audio track of the bbc special, the
accompanying track listing identifies the vocal intro to "here comes the
flood" as "anger gabriel". incidentially, the bbc special was shown in
1979, not 1980 and while it was shown around christmas, it was not ex-
plicitly a christmas special. just being nitpicky.

j fingerle sez:
>      1.  Why do many of you write "Kate" as "KaTe"?

bad habit. :)

actually, it's cos of the KT symbol that KaTe uses sorta as a symbol for
her work and so forth. it also goes back to the KT bush band that she
fronted before the release of _the kick inside_. it's more of a meaningless
habit than a important distinction.

>      2.  What in the world is a KT-fem symbol?

on the cover of the box set, KaTe used a new symbol which has come to be
called the "KT-fem" symbol. it looks something like:

			 	-+-
				 |<

cleverly combining the KT symbol found on the album covers and in videos
with the symbol for the planet venus, otherwise used as a symbol for fe-
maleness.

>      3.  I'm curious as to why many of you are bothered by such things as the
>      Grammys?

well, i am one of those who is not bothered by the grammies, but i can at
least sympathize with those who are. i think we all would love to see KaTe
recognized by an american musical institution, even if it is a pointless,
rather meaningless one (for those of you who felt that sinead deserved the
grammy though, i refer you to ed's .sig).

>      4. Unfortunately, I live in the radio-free zone of Philadelphia

well, wxpn isn't all that bad and if you have a decent attena, you can pick
up wprb out of trenton as well - a little bit trendite as most college sta-
tions are, but at least it's a voice in the radio void. just be glad you
don't live in the adirondacks of northern new york where the only radio
stations are top 40 drivels and french mono broadcasts! :)

>      But, living near Philly has exposed me to The Innocence Mission who
>      are from Lancaster which is about 50 miles west. So I say Kudos to the
>      person who mentioned The Innocence Mission in reply to a request for
>      female vocalist suggestions.

karen peris is an incredible singer. and don't anybody compare her to KaTe
either - that myth was fueled by some nonsense that a&m wrote up about her
in the press kit that came with the advance single release for "black sheep
wall". you can say that she admits KaTe as an influence though...

>      5.  I'd love to see the archives, get copies of lyrics, etc., but in all
>      honesty I am clueless about computers!  I'll re-ask for help some time
>      later, but if any of you people are genuine 'bit-buckets', and I use the
>      term affectionitly (sp?), how is the transfer accomplished?

the program you want to use is something called ftp (stands for file transfer
program - pretty clever eh?). contact me privately and i'll fill you in on
the details so as to avoid bandwith chewing.

>      Voice of The Beehive-Their _Let_It_Bee_ album is a 'pure pop for the
>      masses' masterpiece!

seconded! and i think they are better than the b-52s as well. though mary's
danish comes close...votb is just a bit less rockier for what it's worth.
it's about time votb did something new, don't you think?

>      8.  I have three of the six studio albums on CD and three on cassette. Is
>      the extra stuff like the b-sides, alternate versions, etc., from the box
>      set available elsewhere, and on CD?

except for "experiment iv", "wuthering heights (new vocal)" and the b-sides
from _the sensual world_, this is the first appearance of the rest of the
rarities on cd. just to let some people know (and to piss off derek ;) i have
seen some ads for people selling the two rarities discs separately from the
box set. note though: this is *not* an official release by emi!! this is just
individuals selling the two cds from the box set separately.

tiredly...woj