Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hammersmith, Ciani, Happy

From: stern@chem.nwu.edu (Charlotte Stern)
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 91 09:33:32 CST
Subject: Hammersmith, Ciani, Happy
Cc: stern@chem.nwu.edu

1.  I attained a copy of the Hammersmith video yesterday at Sound Warehouse
    in Chicago.  There was just one visible copy and it cost a low, low
    19.95.  Indeed, I have only ever seen this video for the likes of $75
    before.  This is the new "pressing", no doubt, as the tell-tale
    heartache misprint is present.  I've yet to unwrap it.

2.  I've been listening to far too much Suzanne Ciani recently.  A while ago
    I bought Pianissimmo, which include piano versions of some of her
    songs, in addition to some new ones (I think).  If this is New Age
    music, then it is certainly a new peak for a mostly mediocre genre.
    The songs are technically alert, very finished and extremely addictive.
    I recently listened to Neverland (a release Vickie had lauded), but the
    songs I still like the best (surprise!) are the piano-based ones, i.e.
    the ones that appear on Pianissimmo (there's some overlap, but the
    instrumentation is different).  Anyways, let me recommend Suzanne Ciani.

3.  This Happy Rhodes stuff is starting to grow on me, esp. the first album
    or so.  I can't get into her synth stuff as much, and I'm glad Vickie
    agreed that some of the songs are just oversynthed.  Nonetheless,
    I would be happy to participate in the lyrics review process...
    although generally my ear for lyrics is terrible, I could at least
    review transcriptions.  Let me know how you want to proceed, Jeff.

That's it for now.
ISO and the BOBS this weekend... I can't wait!
-mjm (Mike Mendelson)