Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Live = Definitive?

From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 91 16:51:45 -0500
Subject: Re: Live = Definitive?

Richard Caldwell quotes Ed Suranyi quoting Steve Thomas:
>>> I'm glad that I did get a proper copy, because (IMHO) the final
>>> minutes, just before the credits, when Kate is finishing her
>>> routine for "Wuthering Heights" and is jumping around waving
>>> at the audience in extreme high spirits, is the most delightful
>>> part of the video.

i usually jump up and down and wave back at this point.  my housemates
are used to it.

and then Richard says:
> ...I was speculating as to why someone who so obviously enjoyed performing
> as the Kate that we see in those last few minutes of the Hammersmith show
> would avoid live performances for so long.  It seemed to me that
> somewhere along the line she developed an industrial strength case of
> stage fright.

Sir Laurence Olivier was stricken by disabilitating stage fright while
directing and starring with the National Theatre -- this was after three
or four decades of performing.  also, in my limited experience with
performing, by the time you are waving good-bye you feel *great*;  it's
that moment waiting for the curtain to go up, or when you actually notice
the audience, that is so terrifying.

more Richard:

> Generally I think we should consider the Hammersmith version of all of
> the early songs to be definitive.  Kate could do whatever she liked
> with those versions while Andrew Powell had his hands all over the
> first two albums.

this explains those greasy fingerprints.  but seriously, i concur whole-
heartedly -- and soon (!?) we will have all new versions to admire!!!

and just a bit more:
> I wonder whether Kate's original vision of _James and the Cold Gun_
> included the instrumental portion that she added for the live show.
> I love it even when I can't see her slinking about and blasting bad
> guys!

i don't know why this never hit me before, but that body-suit Ms. Bush
wears in the live _JatCG_ is straight out of "the avengers".  and me
a serious mrs. peel fan, too.  wonder if this is concious (the outfit
never fit the gangster imagery...)

my friend dan (hi dan) says that having a full color screen sized background
of a digitized KaTe on one's work-station limits one's productivity, 'cuz
you keep moving the windows around so that you can see Her.  i'll let you
know about this, as soon as i can figure out how to post email from this
little tiny window at the edge of the screen...

footah!
-greg -- gb10@gte.com -- "Take it to the fridge!" (Hijaz Mustapha)
			 "Mustapha no stoppa!" (Saba Mustapha)